Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JoeP

Reaction score
My neurologist has put me on Keppra, gradually starting out I am currently at 750mg twice a day, going to 1000mg next week, then start backing my dilantin down gradually. Have not had a seizure since 1992, I am kinda nervous, had a EEG and it showed seizure activity. Don't want to mess with a seizure since it has been so long. But i am trying to trust my neurologist since he knows what to do. I have quit drinking and will not do so again, as this could cause a seizure. Has anyone ever been in the same situation as me? Also can anyone tell me what side affects they are having or have had with Keppra? Seem kinda irratable at times, that went away after I quit drinking but now seems to be back. I do not want to do that to my family again. I have been getting along with my wife the best we have in 5years and am worried about the Keppra turning me into "that guy" again. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

Hi JoeP --

My neuro switched me from Dilantin to Zonegran, and when that didn't work out, from Zonegran to Lamictal. I haven't tried Keppra, but a number of folks here have experience with Keppra. Some have found that taking a B Vitamin supplement with B6 helps with the crankiness and moods. You can search CWE for more references to Keppra using the search tab at the top.

Best,
Nakamova

Ditto to the B6! I got mad at the phone co. my 1st week on Keppra and kicked a hole in the wall. :oops:

:cheers:Hi Joe,

I was on Dilantin and I always seemed angry (which isn't like me). Then they switched me to Tegretol which then became Carbamezapine and I was still having seizures. This year I went on Keppra and weened off the Carbamezapine. I've heard of people getting angry with Keppra and also sleepy. I'm up to 2500 mg/day and I can sleep in a hearbeat! I also noticed I'm a little irritable but that just might be me getting old. I've been on the Keppra since April / May and nothing else but I have to go back to the Neuro and we'll see. You found the right place.

what about sleep with keppra, i bartend at a local bar, and sometimes do not get home until 2:30 am. This weekend I work tonite and tomorrow nite so both late nites. I know with my dilantin it is not a problem, but Keppra?? I am still on the dilantin as well as taking keppra, and am very tired today.

I do get sleepy but I take 1,000mg in the morning and 1,500 at night just before bed. I've also noticed some very vivid / strange dreams. If you take it when you get home and maybe mid morning I would think it would be fine but I'm not a Neuro. Maybe you could give them a call?

My level when I get there will be 1000mg in morning (7am)and 1000mg at nite (7pm). J

Joe,

It seemed to take a while for me to get to the "therapeutic" level. Just an FYI

I got diagnosed about 2 1/2 years ago and was put on Keppra, 500 mg twice a day. Due to having some breakthur seizures, my levels have been adjusted several times. I am now at 1250mg, twice a day. Finally, my labs show I am now at theurapic level...so it can take awhile to get it right.
Being sleepy is a huge problems for me when I started and when my levels have been upped. I wonder if you doc would allow you to change the time you take you meds, so it would work with your work hours better.
As far as Kepprage...it didn't hit me in the beginning..it was probably after being on it for 4-5 months before it hit me. And in time, that got better too...although, I do have to say I have always been a hothead!
My neuro is very strict about not adding ANY supplements or taking any over counter stuff without his approval. When I asked him about B6, he told me there is sufficient b6 in a multivitamin and that is all I should take. He showed me info on studies that long term use of too much b6 can do permanent neurologic damage.
Overall, I have to say I am happy with the treatment I am getting from Keppra. Everyone's experience can be different so take all info with a grain of salt...Keppra might be a Godsend for you too
jenn

I was diagnosed at 15 and I was put onto Keppra when I was 19 (4 years ago)
At first a small dose then it was gradually put up to 1000mg.
It didn't agree with me.I got tons of headaches,muscle spasms in my arms/hands.Became VERY irratable and freaked out over the slightest things and that's not like me.
My dosage was brought back down to 750mg.
This took care of the headaches somewhat.I get them now and again.
I still get muscle spasms and I still get irritable.

My tonic clonic seizures are well controlled but my absence seizures and complex partial seizures aren't.
Though I don't get them as much as I used to.
Overall despite the side-effects I get from Keppra, which can be really frustrating, I am happy with it.

But everyone is different.
You can line up ten people with epilepsy who are taking Keppra and ask for their experiences on it,and you'll get ten different answers.

I just want to get back to normal...whatever that is...no more irratablity. Makes my wife unhappy. Told her to be patient....it'll get better. Thanks for all the help on here...but keep the info coming.

I just want to get back to normal...whatever that is...no more irratablity.

Me too. I would love to have my life back to normal, including no seizures along with no irritability. No seizures since 1992?!! :woot: To me, that would be normal!!
I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra a day, 1500 mgs. in the a.m., 1500 mgs. in the p.m. The irritability that seems to accommodate many of the AED's, is no different with me being on Keppra. Initially, I experienced sleepiness, irritability, depression, headaches, etc. I still have not gained full control of my seizures.
But then, I am one of those patients labeled as "refractory".

take keppra one in morning, one at noon, two at supper, two at bed. All 250 mgtabs. Also take amitriptyline two 25 mg at bed time and sertyline one 50mg in morning. This combination keeps me from having seizures, muscle cramps and is keeping me more mobile. But still have seizure if have orgasim so it is till messing with my relationship with hubby. Have to find a way to fix that. lol Keppra is making me grumpy and afraid but better than all the back to back seizures was having constantly day and night and all the pain and going down hill mobility.

Back
Top Bottom