Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My MD got me to try out Keppra about month and half ago. I started getting all itchy and feeling like I was sunburned. Shaving was particularly painful, like pulling hairs out! I also started getting very depressed, thinking about my life coming to an end, writing up my will, etc. I started on 250 mg a day, then upped to 500 mg a few weeks ago.

The itchy sensations got very unbearabe so 3 days ago, my MD suggested I stop taking it, one of the big warning signs. The other night I had a very heavy duty seizure in my sleep, bit my tongue, nearly knocked a tooth loose. I took one today, but I don't think I should get "hooked on it".

I've also been taking Dilantin, Lamactil, and Celexa. I was reluctant to try the Keppra. The Keppra with all of the above made me VERY stoned! Completely lethargic. No seizures, but I don't want to be a zombie either! (This is the same dilemma of psychiatric patients; the standard treatment is "dope 'em up" to the fulest extent possible. Incidentally, some of the same drugs are used for both conditions.)

Somehow I am convinced these medications do not "cure" the condition, they actually make it worse, since our neurological system becomes dependent on that level. It could even lead to total brain damage, if we were to stop taking all these drugs at a once.

Last edited:
That's a shame about your reaction to keppra, it is known for producing these reactions in some people - but also for being a good antiepileptic for those who can tolerate it. I've personally commenced keppra about a month ago now, increased from 250mg bd to 500mg bd - with some manageable drowsiness, and a little of the well documented "keppra rage" which because my wife and I knew about beforehand I was able to deal with. The next step for me is to try and reduce dilantin and tegretol doses, to reduce the side effects of the two when used in combination. Maybe a tolerance can be built to some of these drugs, I don't know. Maybe doses of the existing drugs you take need to be increased? Or another one tried and some of the others weaned off? All I can say is good luck, but don't stop taking anything without advice/support of a good doctor.

I had more seizures on keppra. Then even more when I quit... but after about a month they calmed down.

It did seem to quieten down the tingnitis in my right ear where the brain crashes always happen. Thing is, I only have these every couple of months. Lamactil also makes me itch, could be a combo. But the itchiness and "sunbrun" feeling really got bad, so shaving felt like I was pulling hairs out by the roots. I was scratching myself all over all the time. My MD nurse said to stop taking it, though perhaps I should had tapered a bit.

Let's see: I am now taking 300 mg lamactil, 300 mg dilantin, 40 mg celexa (anit-depressent), so I suppose Keppra was the last straw for my poor overdosed brain!

Last edited:
That sounds awful :( Are you on generic or brand name? I know when I was on the generic and the neurologist upped my dose, I had a ridiculously sore throat and was feeling feverish. I guess 'cause I didn't have a rash, I was cleared, but my throat was still sore. I went to another pharmacy that gave me the brand name, and when I tried it, the sore throat and everything stopped. It might've been a coincidence, but I didn't think so. But, you are probably right that your brain just couldn't take anymore! That is a lot!

Now my MD says to try one a day for awhile. All I can say is my head feels VERY weird now. It's sort of like I can't stop taking it and I can't seem to take it either. Wish I never started on this!

I couldn't tolerate the side effects of the Keppra.
I didn't have seizures, but the quality of my life was GONE.
I didn't the reaction you are, which sounds terrible.
I couldn't sleep, I was afraid of everything, (my shower)
I had to get a sitter for about 3 month.
I took myself off the stuff. Dr. didn't like me doing that, But I told her if she had to take the mess, instead of just presc. to others...Then you can tell me what you would do.!!!!!

Hope you get to feeling better, Wish I knew what would help you. Keep going back to the Dr. put it on them.

Not sure how to handle this. I'm taking one a day now, and feeling totally goofy. Odd thing is the itchy painful skin sensations are not there anymore. People must think I'm high or drunk. Lamactil sort of does that too; my MD suggested trying 4 a day, I'm now on 3, but that makes me itchy too.

Back
Top Bottom