Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

maureen

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to start going off Dilantin (after 2 & 1/2 years) and starting on Keppra. We are going to do it very gradually, over several months.

I am curious to know what others have found with Keppra?

Thanks,

Maureen

Hi Maureen, sorry that isn't one of the four that my daughter has tried.
I only know a little about tegretol, gabapentin, lamictal, and trileptal.
Even I am impressed with my spelling ability.

Hi there!

:hello: Maureen

Welcome to CWE! I was on Keppra,
but I had a very bad reaction with it
where I had to be taken off of it.

Keppra works for some people and
doesn't work for others. Like with all
AED's - it's a trial and error. The only
thing you'll ever know is to go slow
and give it a shot!

Hello Maureen

I took Keppra for quite a long time -- always with another AED. I never found it to be a particularly "difficult" AED and had no major problems at all.
I wish you the best. :)

hi Maureen,

keppra kinda made me anxious and moodie at first and tired... its really hard to say though ..... everyone's different.... Ive been sick with other things while taking aeds and that could be making myself more tired and moodie.... the doctor told me to take 50mg of b6 when i started the keppra which does help.... he has me kinda regulate for myself how much to take of the b6( he told me of side effects to watch out for from b6 like tingeling in hands stuff like that so if im taking to much ill be aware and can stop for a while).... but he keeps track and has me also do so of what vit supplements Im taking which is im pretty sure the norm with most neuro's....

its taken me about two months to get used to the keppra..... it has helped my sps and cps...

love angel

Hi Maureen,

I have been on Keppra for about 2 months now. I'm doing well on it. I don't take any other AED's and my seziures are controlled. I started out at 1000mg AM and 1000mg PM but had a small sezuire and my neurologist bumped me up to 1000mg AM & 1500mg PM. I found that it made me tired but I just started going to sleep an hour earlier at night and that has helped. It also made me moody. I take 100mg of B6 AM & PM and that seems to take care of that. I did some research and found out that it wasn't the Keppra that was making me moody it was the lack of Keppra. As it is processed through out the day the levels of it in your system drop and it was in the afternoons that I became a holy terror to be around:evil2:. I adjusted the time that I took my meds and that fixed that. I wish you luck and hope that Keppra is the ticket for you too. :D

Heather

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm on Keppra for more than 12 months, No problem at all. It seems to me it has a small efficiency on the number of seizure but not their intensity.
Good luck for your trial!
:hello:

Back
Top Bottom