Keppra Dilemma

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dfwtexas

New
Reaction score
I went to neuroligist for regular 6 month check up. I told Dr that my short term memory is getting worse and that I have problems with remembering certain words at time...not like hard words, just common day words. Part of my check up involves him checking my physical abilities and then drills me with simple questions like what month and year is it, etc. I got thru everything good until he asked "who is the president". Then I had one of those moments that I knew the answer but I just went blank. I hemmed and hawwed around and he just sat there and waited and finally I was able to say Obama.
He says he really thinks it is side effects of the Keppra and feels he should change me to different med. I haven't had a seizure since Oct 2009. It was a real struggle to get to the right level. I really don't want to go thru that again. So he left it for me to think about and let him know if I want to change.
From what I hear from ya'll it seems like all the drugs have some bad side effects so I don't know that I wouldn't be trading one bad thing for something else as bad or worse. I really am at a loss what to do.

Memory loss is quite an issue with most AED's but it was so much worse for me when I was on Keppra.

If it is controlling your seizures well I think you should ask the neurologist if you could see if a decreased dosage might lessen your side-effects & improve memory while still controlling your seizures to the same degree.

I've been on 5 drugs: Gabapentin, Keppra, Topamax, Triletpal, and Lamictal. Everyone reacts differently to different drugs. Some were worse than others for me. Lamictal is the one that's left my brain most intact. Topamax was the worst (and I guess that's why we all call it "Dopamax")

I guess I'm saying it's a gamble. You may find one where your memory does better. You may not. It all depends on what side effects you are willing to tolerate, and what you aren't. If the memory stuff is too much for you, then try another. If it's tolerable for you, then stick with it.

I did ask my Dr about lowering the dosage and he said we could try that, but prior to the level getting increase to 1250mg twice a day, I was still having break thru seizures.

I had the same memory problem years ago on Keppra and couldn't remember my telephone number in the doctor's office. He stated, "It's Keppra". I went off of it and then years later tried it again and I ended up getting different side effects that I couldn't handle and truthfully with some of the side effects out there I wouldn't switch cuz of short term memory since most of them have it as a side effect. It's known that epilepsy causes memory problems or perhaps it's the drugs that cause it...personally I think it's both. Good luck with your decision.

I did ask my Dr about lowering the dosage and he said we could try that, but prior to the level getting increase to 1250mg twice a day, I was still having break thru seizures.

I would wonder if a lower dose might work better now that you don't have to wait for your blood levels of keppra to rise.

Thanks for the info ya'll. I have been looking at the other seizure med and their side effects...that along with your information....I think I will ask the doc to decrease the Keppra level first. I know a lot of people don't like Keppra, but I really don't have the Kepprage and it has been a Godsend to keep me seizure free for so long.

Back
Top Bottom