Keppra Levels

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm now on 3,000mg of Keppra and the Doctor had blood work done, strange that my Keppra level was 0 (zero), anyone else experience taking meds and the level would be low or zero?
Billy.

Hi Billy,

My Keppra was raised from 1000mg/day to 2500mg/day and my levels are STILL low (below therapeutic levels). My neuro keeps asking me if I'm taking them!! Of course the fact that she fails to call in refills doesn't help so I end up waiting at the pharmacy, ARGH. I'm going again this weekend for more blood work and have to wait a week because apparrently NO one in Massachusetts can test for Keppra levels (again ARGH). I think my levels are coming in at 3.7 (just a guess) when they should be MUCH higher. I'm expecting to hit the 3,000 mg/day by the end of next week. Doesn't seem to be doing to much either. I'm also taking 200mg tegretol twice a day and things seem worse than before. I'd be interested to keep in touch and see how our "Keprra level race" progresses!
Neil

My levels of Lamictal are considered sub-therapeutic (i.e. not enough to control seizures), except, they... control my seizures. There's usually a trough level, before you take your doe, when the meds are close to being at their lowest. If your levels are at zero, that's unusual though. Perhaps the test was faulty? Are your seizures being controlled? Is there anything about your metabolism or diet that might be affecting the absorption rate? Are you tsking any other meds or supplements?

I am taking Keppra 500mg only. I think is fine for me cause I am taking it with Lamictal and Tregetol.

I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra a day and my neuro never measures my Keppra levels. She says Keppra doesn't need to be checked like Tegretol or Dilantin.
:ponder: I'm going to ask her again when I see her next week because I've been having break-through seizures again.

my neuro said the same thing when i was on the generic keppra that i didn't need to be checked? but my stomach did hurt when i would eat sometimes and that was when i was on 1000 mg and for only 2 weeks

When my neuro had put me on Keppra he stated my levels didn't need to be checked unlike Tegretol and Dilantin. Didn't stay on it long enough to have levels checked, but if I recall both Keppra and Lamictal I never had to have levels checked. If it process through the kidneys, unlike the liver like the older meds, perhaps that has something to do with it.

This is what scares me... as well, why is he checking my levels?
I am afraid of having the breakthrough seizures, not only has it been Keppra levels, but Klonopin Levels were low once at 4-5mg a day! I don't understand ... when you ask, please get back to me.
Thank you, Billy.

This is what scares me... as well, why is he checking my levels?
I am afraid of having the breakthrough seizures, not only has it been Keppra levels, but Klonopin Levels were low once at 4-5mg a day! I don't understand ... when you ask, please get back to me.
Thank you, Billy.

This is to Cint, I replied wrong-- sorry.:woot:

i am on 1000mg of keppra daily. i dont get my levels checked. the neuro who put me on keppra also told me keppra levels dont need to be checked. hope it helps.

I have been on Keppra for a couple of years. My neuro does regular checks on my Keppra level, but because I have a lot of medical problems he does a complete blood test every 3-6 months. I really like my neuro, I feel he is very pro-active in watching for problems

I take 2,500 mgs of Keppra, and my doctor checks my levels periodically. I also take 200mgs of Vimpat and 1,000 mgs of Carbatrol

Hang on, my bad. Actually Carbatrol is just made by a different company. They are the same.

:taz:Thats what I thought but wanted to be sure. You actually take more Carbatrol than me since I take 400mg of Carbamezapine (another generic of Tegretol but I always say Tegretol since it's quicker and easier to spell!:taz:)

Thanks :) I don't know why he checks them, my Tegretol levels were the same way at times... when I was on it.

High doses of niacin, as well as grapefruit juice can lower absorption.

ARGH, now my Keppra levels are HIGH and the nurse at the neuro's office said, "Well it's still high." I had to REMIND her that they had been complaining of it being almost ZERO but I guess the good news is they are going to start weening me off the Tegretol. This is getting very frustrating. I even explained that my memory is getting worse as time goes on but they want me to stay on the 2500mg of Keppra, go figure.
Neil

With Tegretol levels, when I was on it, I had the same problem, it was hard for them to find...
Same with Klonopin, now Keppra!
I don't know what is going on, but the Doc keeps raising everything....
I don't think it's the right thing to do personally, I have told him this.

Back
Top Bottom