Is Keppra making your eyes dry?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sheripark

New
Reaction score
Hi! I'm on day 10 of Keppra and my eyes are really bothering me. They seem really dry. Do you think this is a side effect or just a reaction to the lack of sleep this med has been causing? I noticed even on the first dose that it made my eyes want to go "cross eyed". So I know it is doing something to my eyes. Should I bug my neuro or just use OTC eye drops? Thanks!!!

Sheri

Probably a side effect. I've been on it for a few months now and haven't had any issues, but I would just try some type of OTC drops and see if that helps. If not, then I'd discuss the issue with my neurologist or eye doctor and see if they can prescribe something or change the medication if possible. Good luck!

I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra and I experience more of a runny nose as a side effect from it. Also I often have watery eyes instead of dry eyes. Try OTC eye drops and see if that helps.

Probably. I have the same problem. That started before Keppra, but during another drug (Topamax?). I don't know whether it's related, but apart from the usual irritation, some of my eyelashes have started growing the wrong way and one is touching my eyeball. I kept thinking it was a loose one, but when I looked closely in a mirror and turned the bright fluorescent light, it was still attached.

Funny! I used to be on topomax, just got off actually. I did not like topomax at all! I started using artificial tears and it has helped a lot.

I get dry eyes from Lamictal. I use TheraTears to help -- they are over-the-counter preservative-free eyedrops.

Maybe this is why my eyes are so dry!! :-O I never thought it could be a side effect of my meds (Keppra, Lamictal, and Tegretol)!

Yes I think so. I had my nurologist call me in a script for Pre natal vitamins and I have noticed a small difference just being on them for five days. Even my eyes are not as bad. Good luck!

Wow! I learn so much from you people. I never realized that eye and/or sinus problems could be cause of Keppra.
THANKS EVERYONE!
M

Back
Top Bottom