Keppra question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'll be seeing my doctor sometime soon (don't remember when but its in november) and I'm almost at the point where I'm considering asking about medicines besides keppra.

I love that I'm having less seizures and more energy, and I didn't twitch when I saw three firetrucks yesterday, but I suspect the keppra is causing a bit of my seizures.

Also two days ago I suspected that I might have forgotten to take my medicine - I didn't remember taking it, but then i didn't remember eating the meal that was in front of my either and I had drank all the water I had set aside for the pill (i know I really have to start using that pillbox). I had no seizures between the "forgotten" dose and the next one, which hasn't happened since I started keppra. I know the keppra increased the seizures I had when I was awake, but I honestly don't remember how frequently they came before I started it - in most cases I was too tired to pay any attention.

Another thing I've noticed is that I seem to have no noise tolerance. I swear people are shouting in my ear everytime I go out. I'm wondering if thats because the keppra is making me more sensitive to noise, or if its because having stayed in the house so much any outside noise seems really loud

If I skip one meal, I get very upset. The more upset I am, the less likely I am to want to eat or drink. Within about an hour and a half of eating an MA meal, maybe slightly longer, I'm fine emotionally again. Whenever i'm thirsty or cold, I get very upset. I'm thinking that the thirst and cold might indicate that a slight drop in comfort brings out the kepprage.

There is also the problem in that keppra's sideeffects are very similar to how I am when I'm post-ictal and so there is always the question of "was it the keppra or a seizure?" I'm thinking the keppra because lately I've been able to say "don't think bad thoughts. This is the medicine doing it to you." I don't always succeed in not thinking them, but it seems to me if it were post-ictal rage I couldn't think "separately" from the bad thoughts.

My sleeping has also been highly irregular - I've no idea if I'm going to be up all night, sleep all day and night, up for two days straight, sleep for 2 days, etc. Laying down with the lights out almost seems to make me more awake during the times I've been awake for awhile.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Hello darkmarkshark,

I can not say that I am as far in frequency as you are, but definitively I have had some of the same effects that I know are not post-ictal. My seizure are the full blown yell than rigidity fall on your face kind. You can not miss them neither can anyone around.

I get a small disconfort mood swings, noise sensibility sugar sortage kind of rage if I am late for a meal and night issues. Though those might be simply related to the stress of coping with the situation.

Cheers,

Yah those seem like normal side effects to me. Ive been on keppra for about a year and i have alot of those same problems. I dont have the noise problem though. I get upset VERY easily because of the keppra, and for me that has to be the worst side effect. and when i get hungry I have to eat right away, otherwise I feel really sick. Same sleep issues too. Right now keppra is the only med that keeps me from having seizures so i just have to suffer through the side effects...and for me there are alot of them.

Keppra and blood sugar?

... Same sleep issues too. Right now keppra is the only med that keeps me from having seizures so i just have to suffer through the side effects...and for me there are alot of them.

You know the more I read about Keppra and the more I am reminded of the many case of blood sugar disorder in my family.

Here is a quick reminder I picked-up:

What are the symptoms of hypoglycemia?
The following are the most common symptoms for hypoglycemia. However, each child may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:

* shakiness
* dizziness
* sweating
* hunger
* headache
* irritability
* pale skin color
* sudden moodiness or behavior changes, such as crying for no apparent reason
* clumsy or jerky movements
* difficulty paying attention, or confusion
* tingling sensations around the mouth

I know I have been instinctively dealing with my mood swings like if they were glycemia issues, but it might be worth it for someone to actually monitor glycemia while only under Keppra or other treatment implying mood swings.

It is so easy to under estimate blood sugar levels and so easy to handle once you know yourself on that level.

You might NOT have to suffer, just keep fruits and nuts handy.

Cheers,

You know the more I read about Keppra and the more I am reminded of the many case of blood sugar disorder in my family.

Here is a quick reminder I picked-up:

I know I have been instinctively dealing with my mood swings like if they were glycemia issues, but it might be worth it for someone to actually monitor glycemia while only under Keppra or other treatment implying mood swings.

It is so easy to under estimate blood sugar levels and so easy to handle once you know yourself on that level.

You might NOT have to suffer, just keep fruits and nuts handy.

Cheers,

Nope. My doctor checked everything and said it was all normal. and before the blood tests i didnt eat, so its not that.

Hi,

Just for a quick test, keep short term energy source handy (ei an apple) when you get crankier eat it then take medium term energy source (ei milk) and keep away from refined sugar or fructose for a while. You will see if it is sugar related. It does not cost you anything and you do not have to do anything special, just keeping you stable.

I always test normal blood sugar at a doctor office but when I have had (before keppra) mood swings and had access to a glycemia reader I was always in hypoglycemia. One of my aunt was not branded diabetic before she had her Third comatose episod, she was always normal on tests...

The idea is not to say that you have a blood sugar issue, but keppra might get us more fragile to those normal cycles.

Cheers,

I have been on Keppra for 5 years now and have never had an abnormal blood sugar test during that time.

However, I agree that it is interesting to investigate if our keppra side effects may make us more sensitive to normal swings in blood sugar. I will try to track myself for awhile.

Lately (don't think it is keppra related), I am hungry all the time. I crave proteins the most. I can sit by a bowl of candy with no issues, but could eat two steaks for supper.

Just found out late last week that I need to be taken off Keppra for reasons I will post in another thread. Nothing to do with Blood Sugar though.

I will let you know if some of the side effects ease up, but it may be hard to tell as I am starting Lamictal as of this morning.:ponder:

Back
Top Bottom