Keppra side effects and vitamins

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
For more than six months now i got stuffy nose and flue like symptoms,also muscle shaking while doing static excercise or holding a piece of paper.it's like my muscels are tired right from the start.Also although not tired as much as in iniciation i am still tired more or less and i feel like my body becomes less tolerant to the side effects and even developing new once which waren't when i started the med.Also for some reason my left arm is really weak unlike my right and i get electric feeling while pressing in specific spot in that arm,on the other arm i barely feel something and i think my muscle is hurt or infected from the inside.

I was wondering if you have any experience with specific vitamins i should try which may help me with those side effects.I can't switch to any other med except topamax which i don't really want to try and since I have JME not all meds will do,those that were sepused to help like epilim or lamictal failed or aggravated me so im basiclly stuck with keppra.

I'll appriciate any info thanks.

p.s=When i was on generic keppra i had wierd side effect but din't have the flue symptoms,when i switched to the brand name i became sick for a month and than it started.Since it's the same active ingridient and altough i upped the dose but everything stayed the same, can it be the innactive ingridients (fillers) that cause me those problems? and about the problem with my left arm ,after it started it din't go away so i think its the levetiracetam (active ingridient) that causes it,i read it can cause neck problems but sometimes can appear in other muscles in the body as well.

PP.S=I might have posted something similar but i don't remember,if so sorry for the inconvinence :p

Last edited:
What about depakote? That works well for your type of epilepsy. Because I have myoclonic and so does my son, I know what you are talking about. I take keppra and I get that soreness. But I think its from muscle jerks . I have seen my body do it. Lamictal did the same thing to me. It made my myo's worse. I would call your Dr. now and get that taken care of now. It could be the med or it could be a new type of seizure . Let me know how you are doing ok? Teresa

What about depakote? That works well for your type of epilepsy. Because I have myoclonic and so does my son, I know what you are talking about. I take keppra and I get that soreness. But I think its from muscle jerks . I have seen my body do it. Lamictal did the same thing to me. It made my myo's worse. I would call your Dr. now and get that taken care of now. It could be the med or it could be a new type of seizure . Let me know how you are doing ok? Teresa

Unfortanatly depakote never did the trick for me and lamictal din't as well.

I lowered the keprpa from 1000 to 500mg and now im on 250mg and i feel much better.

Now i might be less tolerant to video games but hey i can live with myoclonic jerk once a day rather than jump every time to time when not on meds.But its much better than being on high dose of keppra without being able to study well or even have increased seizure activity.Its like my brain getting used to the keppra and becomes more violent its wierd

Back
Top Bottom