Keppra or Topamax: first AED to try

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jacquie

New
Reaction score
The doctors believe I have partial seizures. I am going in for long term monitoring. Due to my mom having SJS/TENS the two drugs I could try are Keppra and Topamax. It's my understanding SJS/TENS is not as common in these drugs. Which one should I try first in your opinions? Thank you!

Ive been on Keppra for 14 years and its done a great job at controlling my seizures. I havnt tried Topamax.

The general rep on those meds is that Keppra can exacerbate moodiness ("Kepprage"), and Topomax ("Dopomax") can cause cognitive problems. There's no way of predicting for sure how they'll work for you. However, I'd say that if you have any existing issues with mood swings, then Keppra probably shouldn't be the first choice.

Good luck, let us know what you go for.

Keppra was great for me when I first took it. The initial process of getting on the drug seems to be the hardest part. Didn't feel as hazed out by Keppra. Everyone is different though, if you can't tolerate one definitely give the other one a try. Best of luck, hope you find the right one soon.

Back
Top Bottom