Keppra V Topamax?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rhiz

New
Reaction score
Hi there, been a while since my last post however I've finally decided enough is enough with Keppra

I'm moving into the big world of work and not being able to go 7 hours without napping is going to be way too ridiculous and my weight gain has been so severe that I've gone from being borderline underweight to being overweight with only positive diet changes and plenty of exercise.

I've been told Topamax is one of the ONLY anti-convulsants that doesn't cause you to gain weight but it has some other fairly serious side effects, but tiredness isn't as big of an issue.

Just wondering what people's personal experiences are? I've had several break through seizures on Keppra also. I didn't start having Grand Mal seizures until I moved onto it (after persisting to have Petite Mal seizures on Lamictal)

Edit; I've also just read about Zonegran, wondering if that is maybe a bit better than Topamax?...

Also would be really grateful to hear people's relations with Alcohol and these drugs. I have been on Keppra for 2+ years and found I can drink as much as I like with no seizures or side effects and have stopped having hangovers!

Last edited:
Hi rhiz,
Was on topomax for 2+ years without a grand mal. No real side effects to speak of, and definately no weight gain. Not drowsy either. The only thing I'd mention is that when I did have a breakthrough and it was doubled to 200 2x, my short-term memory was affected and I became fairly 'duh.' Not 24/7 but enough where I finally got why a lot of people refer to it as 'dopamax.' Some of it I think was due to depression though too.
Still, if you have to make a choice between it and keppra, my two cents is the topamax (not much for mood swings, etc.). Have a great day!

Hi rhiz,
Was on topomax for 2+ years without a grand mal. No real side effects to speak of, and definately no weight gain. Not drowsy either. The only thing I'd mention is that when I did have a breakthrough and it was doubled to 200 2x, my short-term memory was affected and I became fairly 'duh.' Not 24/7 but enough where I finally got why a lot of people refer to it as 'dopamax.' Some of it I think was due to depression though too.
Still, if you have to make a choice between it and keppra, my two cents is the topamax (not much for mood swings, etc.). Have a great day!

Thank you for your advice!
I've found I've had really bad memory problems the last year or so on Keppra (related or not I do not know) but I tend to forget things that happened yesterday, but can remember things that happened last week? I often forget the end of sentences too :( So maybe this will just stay static for me as I think I have a rubbish memory anyway haha!
Thank you again, really good to hear some of the better things about Topamax as I got my hopes up then read some nasty things on the internet!

Yeah, I was surprised when I read what most people had to say too, esp. on all the forums. Hopefully you'll be lucky like me and have a good reaction. But like I say, most of all if you're worried about weight gain, it's not a concern, known for causing weight loss if anything. I hate the short-term memory though, but it will prob depend on your dosage. It wasn't until mine was doubled that it was affected - and I have always had the memory of an elephant.

I take Topamax -200 mgs/day along with Keppra-3000 mgs/day. Topamax on a higher dose can cause weight loss and also make one anemic, which it did to me, therefore the dr. lowered the dosage. Also makes one very forgetful, thus the name-Dopamax. Keppra can cause depression and rage outbursts. I've not tried Zonegran. But I'd watch my alcohol intake while taking any anti-seizure meds. They don't mix well. And alcohol lowers the seizure threshold.

I tried Zonegran, and it was not for me. Since it's an appetite suppressant, you can lose weight on it, but it gave me a very bad acid stomach, and caused low blood sugar that eventually led to a seizure. In addition there were cognitive side effects. (It's sometimes called the "Supermodel drug" because it makes you skinny and dumb.)

Thank you all for your advice :)

After reading a lot more on here about Keppra and some weird "traits" I've picked up over the last few years, I've realised I'm getting a LOT more side effects than I was lead to believe, so I'm definitely going to try and persuade my doctor to let me move medications, hopefully to Topamax

I was originally put on Topamax for my migraines at a low dosage which just took the edge off and at first caused a lot of weird things but they didn't last very long. When I was finally diagnosed with epilepsy the doc up'd the dosage since I was already on Topamax and it was not a very good experience for me at all. I lost a ton of weight, and my cognitive ability plummeted. I couldn't think of words when speaking, I was slow when I spoke, I stuttered and repeated myself. The only good thing about it is it was my miracle migraine drug. I am currently working my way back down to my original dosage of Topamax and increasing Vimpat. Already I can think clearly again, eat normal which is causing my digestive system to start working normal, and I still have to go back down another step. I am getting migraines again which will probably mean I get off Topamax completely and switch to Lamictal at my next visit. At the lower doses I can handle it just fine, but in order for it to do what it needs to for me, I can't handle the side effects that go along with it. It would be nice if the lower dose would do what the higher dose did because I love what Topamax did for my migraines, I just can't handle it changing me that much.

Unfortunately I'm getting all that on Keppra but I'm getting the weight gain and as an 18 year old girl, I know I'd rather prefer loss than gain ha :(

My boyfriend and family have started to point out to me that I'm stuttering really badly at the beginning of sentences and repeating the first word several times, I've known for ages my short term memory is flagging as if you ask me what I ate yesterday or the day before I'm pretty sure I won't be able to tell you anymore! It's pot luck on whether or not Topamax will either be the same, or reduce these symptoms for me

I've finally decided enough is enough with Keppra.....
not being able to go 7 hours without napping is going to be way too ridiculous and my weight gain has been so severe that I've gone from being borderline underweight to being overweight with only positive diet changes and plenty of exercise.

:agree:I've been wanting to ask the same thing! I often sleep 12, 14, even 16 hours a day. And weight gain? I've never been so heavy. I eat fairly healthy things, but I feel like all I do is sleep and eat.

I was on 1000 mg keppra for about 2 years with no real side-effects, then had break through activity so my doc upped my dosage to 1500 mg. I was on that for another 2 years, becoming more and more tired, and eating more and gaining weight. So about 3 months ago, I went back to 1000, but still fat and tired:pfft:

I don't know if it's the keppra, situational depression, depression brought on by keppra or what, but I'm sick of it! I'm also afraid of trying something else, but starting to feel it's worth risking other, scary side-effects if I can have some energy and lose some freakin' weight:razz2:

You sound exactly like me travel bug!
I'm on 2000MG (1000 twice daily) and I'm sooooooooooooo so tired. I eat healthy but I find exercise really hard because I have no energy or motivation left anymore to even try!

It's worth trying something else as none of the effects I've seen are life threatening nor will you be stuck with them forever, if worse comes to worse you'll just end up back on keppra :p

Hi,

I started off taking Topamax for my seizures in 2009. It made me lose weight and really controlled my appetite. My word bank was compromised and it was hard to remember names, etc, but I eventually got over that. However, it did not control my seizures as well as it should have last year when a lot of stress hit my family. I was having a lot of seizures at that time, and that's when my neurologist added Keppra XR to my Topamax.

To be fair, the Keppra really controlled my seizures. I had a lot of "dry" seizures where the aura was really intense but I never lost consciousness. My weight stayed the same, but that's the end of the positive side of it.

Here's the real deal: Keppra made me really depressed and angry. I almost lost my best friend. I felt tired all the time and my zest for life was gone. I finally had it in May and went to my doctor in tears, saying I couldn't go on like that any more.

He started me on Lamictal XR (which is a L O N G switch-over process) and I am SO HAPPY! I knew I was back when I looked at a Food and Wine magazine and got excited. That has not happened in over a year (I am a foodie that loves to cook).

I talked with my BF yesterday and she agreed- I lost a year of my life and I blame most of it on my medication. I am so happy I switched!

I've finally started on my Topamax, the feedback with this thread really helped so thanks all you guys!

I have my job at a retail store now, so I'm not too scared about being a little bit "dumb" every now and again however getting off the Keppra is a big step for me as it means there's a much bigger chance I won't snap at people or drop off have way through a shift!

Really happy and hopefully this can be a positive change for me

hiya, i feel your pain im the same with keppra, however i havent had another seizure since taking these but i have gained a lot of weight and lost hair, the keppra is not the right meds for me its took 3 attempts of speaking to doctors that this isnt the meds for me, did you experience hair loss with keppra? and are you still losing it with topamax? have you heard of biotin? i habve been reccomended this by a few people its supposed to promote hair growth, im going to give it a try, good vluck and hope you get sorted

I've finally started on my Topamax, the feedback with this thread really helped so thanks all you guys!

I have my job at a retail store now, so I'm not too scared about being a little bit "dumb" every now and again however getting off the Keppra is a big step for me as it means there's a much bigger chance I won't snap at people or drop off have way through a shift!

Really happy and hopefully this can be a positive change for me
Rhiz,
YAY! Good for you girl. That's a big step, you must feel so relieved it's finally done with. That was such a positive change, kudos to you for asking for advice, weighing all the answers, and then making a smart decision.
Good luck with the new job as well!

I did happen to lose over 40 lbs on the topamax so that was the one positive thing about the topamax for me so i was glad i stuck it out.

Tina

Back
Top Bottom