Keppra XR

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dfwtexas

New
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new extended release Keppra? Is it only for patient that take another seizure med with Keppra?

I went to my doctor today and before I even asked about this new Keppra, he recommend me trying it. You take all the pills for one day at the same time and it is time released and keeps you Keppra level constant. I am really excited about it! Doc said his patients on it are doing much better with seizures. (Plus there is NO generic, so that ends that discussion)
He gave me enough samples to try for a week, so I will let you know how it goes. He did say some insurance companies will not pay for it, but I checked with mine and they will cover it.

Cool Beans JG!.. Good luck on the Keppra ER! :) I've heard others say good things about it too. :)

I am so happy about the switch to Keppra XR! My moods are so much better, although the doctor told me beforehand that it may not affect my moodiness. I find myself singing in the car on my way to work...I have been battling depression for years, but since the change I actually find myself singing in the car on the way to work! Praise the Lord God for this new drug!

Man that Generic Brand Of Keppra is bad

Man they just changed my brand name Keppra to that Generic brand and it is awful. Iam just recovering from an illness that i dropped to 85 pounds. Now iam 103 pounds. I was 120 pounds before they changed my med. I was like man iam going backwards again. But Warning to my Fellow people with Epilepsy DO NOT TAKE LEVETRACETAM the Gerneric for Keppa. Just a warning. Iam about to call my Doctor and put me back on the brand name. I was scared to take the Generic brand 2 because the holy spirit was like something aint quiet right and i been taking sezier medication since i was about 5 years old.

Military Brat
Oh the generic is awful. I gave it a shot and got terrible migraines when I slept. There are some other topics on here about it...some people even had seizures because of that generic. Generics can be a good thing...but not for seizure medication!

I just started taking Keppra XR two days ago...I love the fact that I can take all of it at night and only have to take two 200 mg pills of Lamictal...I have not noticed a decrease in seizure frequency yet, but I think that is due to the fact that I just started it and it is not all the way in my system as if I had been taking it for a while longer...so I expect to see good results soon!!:woot::rock:

Yeah, my short term memory is awful. It is very helpful to just take all my seizure meds right before bed. I am very pleased with this medicine

I got diagnosed with simple and complex partials in April last year and put on Keppa. Doc just changed me to Keppra XR last week and I noticed an immediate improvement in my moods. After reading about everyone else on here, I think my seizures are really mild in comparsion

I am only on Keppra. The website for Keppra XR promotes it for use with other drugs, but doc says Keppra promotes all their products that way. He says he has some patients do other drugs with it, some don't...like our seizures we are all different and react differently to the meds. Keppra has been doing well for me...with exception of one possible nighttime seizure (not sure if it was or wasn't, neither is doc) in November, I have not had seizure since August 25th.

Wow, that's awesome! I'm on regular Keppra. generic does not bother me. I was just thinking about moods.

Wow that is great jgb! I had been seizure free for nine years until shortly after I turned 22...I was only taking 500 mg of topamax a day, and since then have not been under complete control. I am looking forward to the day when I am! Hopefully, with the new keppra it will help...I am also looking forward to a Lamictal XR, which I have heard is in the works. So it will be nice to only have to take one med one time during the day then another at another time!! Until then, I will be on the regular Lamictal 600 mg and Keppra XR 2000 mg. Glad to hear you are doing well!

Back
Top Bottom