kidney infection - not keppras fault

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

levofloxacin-keppra

Effects of Acute Renal Failure and Ganciclovir on the Pharmacodynamics of Levofloxacin-Induced Seizures in Rats

These results suggest that renal failure and ganciclovir can be the risk factors for LVFX-induced seizures, and that they increase the sensitivity of the central nervous system to LVFX-induced seizures.
Key words levofloxacin; seizure; pharmacodynamics; renal failure; ganciclovir; rat

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/30/4/30_745/_article

Introduction

Toxic effects on the kidney related to medications are both common and expected, given the kidney's roles in plasma filtration and maintenance of metabolic homeostasis. The renal vascular bed is exposed to a quarter of resting cardiac output. As such, glomerular, tubular and renal interstitial cells frequently encounter significant concentrations of medications and their metabolites, which can induce changes in kidney function and structure. Renal toxicity can be a result of hemodynamic changes, direct injury to cells and tissue, inflammatory tissue injury, and/or obstruction of renal excretion. Markers of early injury are being investigated.1 In the meantime, however, subtle renal damage (e.g. tubulopathy, acid–base abnormalities, electrolyte imbalances and disorders of water balance) and mild urinary sediment abnormalities associated with commonly used medications are frequently unrecognized. Detection is often delayed until an overt change in renal functional capacity is measured as an increase in serum blood urea nitrogen or creatinine.

The true incidence of drug-induced nephrotoxicity is therefore difficult to determine. Studies that evaluated episodes of acute tubular necrosis (ATN) or acute interstitial nephritis (AIN) attributed to medication determined the incidence to be as high as 18.3%. The incidence of nephrotoxic injury due to antibiotics (e.g. aminoglycosides) has been reported to be up to 36%.2, 3 Most episodes of drug-induced renal dysfunction are reversible, with function returning to baseline when the medication is discontinued. Chronic renal injury can, however, be induced by some medications, leading to chronic tubulointerstitial inflammation, papillary necrosis or prolonged proteinuria.4, 5 Heightened physician awareness is necessary if renal injury and associated morbidity from renal failure are to be prevented. As it is impossible to list all drugs associated with nephrotoxicity, this article will summarize the mechanisms of injury associated with particularly common medications, discuss clinical presentations and markers associated with drug-induced renal injury, and evaluate strategies that prevent or minimize renal injury.

im not going to take the chance with keppra any longer ... renal injury or renal failure isnt something im wanting to deal with I havent been able to hardly even go pee so i think its time to listen to my body instead of the doctors from what ive been reading its hard for them to tell whats going on with out extensive testing which ive not had.... SO im taking my life back.... no more meds except for the cipro....

tty guys later
love angel

Angel,
Did you know one of the very rare side effects of Keppra is infection? I only know this because I was one of those people that got that side effect. I ended up in the hospital once, and was at my doctors office every other week with a U.T.I.
When I didn't have a U.T.I. I had a yeast infection. It wasn't pretty

Im thinking you might be right although its hard for me to tell weather its from the keppra or just from the vur ..... Ive sat around this morning thinking its been almost 9 years since ive had a kidney infection have only had uti's and bladder infections that would sometimes go away with rest and drinking lots water......

im really not well from this kidney infection and it just kinda started like a few weeks ago slight pressure felt in my left kidney and i thought i had a uti that would go away..... urination out put is not good somthing ive not had that often and now have..... Ive called myy neuro's office left a message for them to call me im going to tell them i refuse to take these meds any longer.... Im afraid of what they are going to say...:cry: i dont care at this point... i dont like even the possibility of having drug induced kidney problems... i almost died when i was little from vur.... im not willing to take the risk of using aeds any more...... im annoyed right now....

Love angel

U.T.I. I had a yeast infection

Originally Posted by Elisa View Post:
Angel,
Did you know one of the very rare side effects of Keppra is infection? I only know this because I was one of those people that got that side effect. I ended up in the hospital once, and was at my doctors office every other week with a U.T.I.
When I didn't have a U.T.I. I had a yeast infection. It wasn't pretty"

Elisa,

I take Probiotic Acidophilus when having to take antibiotics like right now having to take ciprofloxacin 500mg twice a day can cause a yeast infection...Probiotic Acidophilus it helps give you back the good bacteria .... it really helps you not to have yeast infections at least i think so ive taken it off and on for mmany years and have had maybe one or two yeast infections in my life... thats not bad for as many times ive had to take septra macrobid & cipro....

"from google search"
Certain antibiotics seem to cause more yeast infections or overgrowth than others. Cephalosporins such as Keflex® permit more yeast overgrowth (12). Cipro® (ciprofloxacin), Augmentin® (amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium), and any other penicillin derivitives such as amoxicillin or ampicillin seem to destroy the normal vaginal lactobacillus and predispose to more yeast infections than do other antibiotics. Tetracycline, sulfa, metronidazole and even erythromycin do not cause yeast infections as often.

love angel

I moved this answer from the other thread, where the subject really didn't relate to this discussion.
According to this, there is a definite connection between the two Angel

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/67/12_suppl_4/S28

thanks for the link Robin,

I'm almost off the clonazepam I dont really need to be taking it.....
kidneys & bladder need a break (I've had more energy today.)... I read a lot the past two days about renal failure and how it can sneak up on you

all i can say is I've read that renal failure has not many symptoms ive had the itching like crazy the cant pee going to bathroom every 15 min nothing hardly comes out or it feels like i still have to go and cant... I know it might sound like Im being a baby.... I've had kidney problems since i was 3... for some vur goes away mine and a few other adults it has stayed.... we just live with it.....; kidney's I've read when failing can cause seizures.... when i had seizures when i was younger i remember being in and out of the hospital for kidney surgery and infections... i had seizures then too... when kidneys are fine no seizures..... thats what I'm seeing....

If i can find a doctor who will help me figure this out it would be nice........

like everyone here we are sick of being sick.....

Wish I could help Angel, but I don't know anything about kidney problems or renal failure. Hope you find some answers.

Angel,
Are there forums like CWE (I know that is a long stretch cuz nothing is like CWE) that deal with other medical issues similar to yours?

Im trying to find one... most of them are for parents of children with vur...
ill just have to keep looking... the doctors havent said Epilepsy and kidney bladder problems are related .... I feel that the movement disorder vur and e are though....

It would be awesome if i could find someone Or even a few who are dealing with the same issues....

oh btw i have looked up ionic mag and it can help with kidney stones & function so im going to be buying some I wanted to ask you robin, where do you buy it? I really dont want to buy it online...

love angel

High oxalate in the urine and plasma was first
found in people who were susceptible to
kidney stones. Many kidney stones are
composed of calcium oxalate. Stones can
range in size from the diameter of a grain of
rice to the width of a golf ball. It is estimated
that 10% of males may have kidney stones
some time in their life. Because many kidney
stones contain calcium, some people with
kidney stones think they should avoid calcium
supplements.
However, the opposite is true. When calcium
is taken with foods that are high in oxalates,
oxalic acid in the intestine combines with
calcium to form insoluble calcium oxalate
crystals that are eliminated in the stool. This
form of oxalate cannot be absorbed into the
body. When calcium is low in the diet, oxalic
acid is soluble in the liquid portion of the
contents of the intestine (called chyme) and is
readily absorbed from the intestine into the
bloodstream. If oxalic acid is very high in the
blood being filtered by the kidney, it may
combine with calcium to form crystals that
may block urine flow and cause severe pain.

It would be interesting to see if increased
elimination of heavy metals occurs after
oxalate elimination by antifungal therapy and
low oxalate diet. In addition, oxalates from the
diet or from yeast/fungus in the
gastrointestinal tract bind calcium,
magnesium, and zinc, perhaps leading to
deficiencies even when dietary sources should
be adequate.

such crystals may also form in the
bones, joints, blood vessels, lungs, and even
the brain
Laboratory tests recommended by a respected lab for oxalates:

Oxalic acid (oxalates) -Tests for all forms of oxalic
acid and its salts or conjugate bases, oxalates

Arabinose - Important Candida indicator which
strongly correlates with oxalates

Glycolic acid (glycolate) - Indicator of genetic
disease of oxalate metabolism called Hyperoxaluria
type I due to a deficiency in the enzyme activity of
alanine glyoxylate amino transferase (AGT).

Glyceric acid (glycerate) - Indicator of genetic
disease of oxalate metabolism called Hyperoxaluria
type II due to a deficiency in an enzyme (GRHPR)
that has two biochemical activities: glyoxylate
reductase (GR) and hydroxypyruvic reductase
(HPR).

Ascorbic acid (ascorbate, vitamin C)-Indicates
nutritional intake of vitamin C and/or excessive
destruction. Vitamin C can be excessively
converted to oxalates when free copper is very
high.

Pyridoxic acid - Indicator of vitamin B-6 intake.
The enzyme activity alanine glyoxylate amino
transferase (AGT) requires vitamin B-6 to eliminate
glyoxylic acid or glyoxylate, a major source of
excess oxalates.

Furandicarboxylic acid, hydroxy-methylfuroic
acid - Markers for fungi such as Aspergillus
infection, one of the proven sources of oxalates

Bacteria markers - A high amount of bacterial
markers may indicate low values of beneficial
bacteria such as Lactobacilli species that have the
ability to destroy oxalates.

http://greatplainslaboratory.com/home.htm

Last edited:
im taking calcium + D 1000mg I stopped the magnesium oxide until i ask the pharmacist if its ok to take with the Carbamazepine..... the neuro told me to take calcium with D

I still think keppra made utis worse for me because im down to 500mg and not burning when i go to the rest room.... who knows?? I dont.....

thank you for the link im not fully understanding everything its saying but ill read it tomorrow.... :)

new post:

my bladder feels fine now that im off the keppra...... i still have the bladder stone & kidney stone but no pain or infection what so ever so I know for a fact it was the keppra...... for myself the doctors made bad judge ment call with that med when it came to my kidneys & bladder....

Last edited:
Keppra and infections

I am the mother of a 37 year old son with CP, Paul does not walk or speak and has had siezures since birth.

He was put on Keppra liquid approx. 1 year ago. Last year he had a kidney stone removed and since has had constant kidney infections, trouble urinating, ear infections, sinus infections. He has never had these issues prior to taking the Keppra. He did have the kidney stone but not all these infections EVER.

His doctor does not believe it is the Keppra but has no explanation as to what it is. He is on 1250mg morning and night and also takes another siezure med.

Any other people having this problem???:ponder:

I just found this article

LINK

Urinary tract infections may come from pets

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Picking up an E. coli bug from your pet might lead to a urinary tract infection, according to Minneapolis-based researchers.

"Sharing of E. coli strains among humans and pets within a household, including strains that can cause urinary tract infections, is extremely common," Dr. James R. Johnson told Reuters Health.

Harboring the same strain of the bug implies that it is passed from one person or animal to another.

Johnson and his colleagues at the University of Minnesota investigated the extent to which E. coli strains were shared between humans and pets in 63 households. They identified 152 people, 48 dogs, 26 cats, and 2 other animals that had stool samples that tested positive for E. coli. Five of the humans had an acute urinary tract infection.

In the Journal of Infectious Diseases, the researchers report that the same strain of E. coli was shared by several of the inhabitants within a household in 68 percent of the domiciles. That included three of the five households in which one person had a urinary tract infection.

Given the high rate of E. coli strain sharing, Johnson concluded: "If future research shows that this process increases the risk of urinary tract infection for household members, this could lead to new options for preventing such infections."

SOURCE: Journal of Infectious Diseases, January 15, 2008.

Keppra and infections

We don't have any pets at all and niether my husband or myself have had any kind of UTI or other infections. Only our son who is on the Keppra and only since he started taking the Keppra.

Hi Lanell - I would certainly make the connection too. Since we are all such unique individuals, for a doctor to say that it isn't connected is down right craziness. If you see it, trust your instincts. By keeping a low Oxalic diet, maybe the infections can be kept down. If I am reading that correctly from Great Plains Lab, calcium is a good thing. Guess that would have to be double checked with a doctor specializing in this.

Kidney stones (nephrolithiasis)

Pyridoxine alone, or taken with magnesium, may decrease urinary oxalate levels, which can contribute to a certain type of kidney stones. Higher pyridoxine intake has been associated with decreased risk of kidney stone formation in women but not in men with no history of stone formation. Benefit has not been proven in other types of kidney stones such as those associated with high urinary calcium, phosphorus, and creatinine. Further data is needed before a firm conclusion can be drawn.
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drugs-treatments/vitamin-b-6-pyridoxine

Back
Top Bottom