Lack of motivation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ln1

New
Reaction score
I have been running my writing company from home for 13 years. Recently, business has slowed down. In addition to continually looking for more clients, I decided to look for a part time job outside the house. I ended up applying for a full time editor job (outside the home). I recently heard back from the company, and they want to go to the next step in the application process.

I am grateful that they are considering me, but I am also afraid. 1. I don't know why I applied for a full time job when that was never my intention. 2. I have no motivation to learn anything new.

In addition, I've been having recent bouts of depression (although I am on an anti-depressant). I really feel like a mess right now. I am usually very decisive, but I feel so lost.

Please share if you have any suggestions about what I should do. Thank you!!

Hi In1,

When I started a new job I was always nervous and worried but in the long run I never should have felt that way because everything went well and I'm sure things will go well for you. I've been working full time for 33 yrs. and I have had seizures on the job but everyone understands and nobody gives me a hard time.
Being an editor is a wonderful talent, and you should be proud of yourself. I have a cousin who was a editor for a magazine but he's retired now. Maybe once you get to work you will be more busy so you won't feel depressed and I'm sure you will have motivation to learn. Have faith in yourself and remember you can do it. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Change -- or the prospect of change -- can be scary. Even positive changes can produce stress. So now would be a good time to check in with your therapist about reviewing your anti-depressant, and to discuss steps you might take to cope with these added pressures.

It's okay to back out now -- or to move forward with the application process to see what happens. Pat yourself on the back for getting this far. It's terrific that the company is considering hiring you, but keep in mind that opportunities are not obligations. :)

Keep us posted!

Nakamova makes a good point.

A few years back I decided to move back to Florida to be closer to family and took a job with a new company and had arranged everything perfectly... or so I thought. I got the U-Haul, a friend to help move, I packed everything, we drove the U-Haul from Texas to Florida. It was a lot of work.

And then I had MAJOR Seizures. I started having tonic clonic seizures. I wound up in the hospital and was out of a brand new job for several weeks recovering from surgery after a fall which shattered and dislocated my right shoulder.

What I thought was going to be an easy 2 week transition from one job to another, with minimal downtime in between jobs to ensure continuous cash flow, etc. turned out to be a DISASTER.

And said company did not respect me any more for it, either, because I got laid off 6 months later.

So take it or leave it.

i have a pregnant wife, i need a higher paying job. I higher paying job and leaving my company after 8yrs and 25 seizures is very tough.

This place is like home, if something happens i know ill make it to the ER and everything will be okay.

But my pay isnt going to cut it for my future, so something big has to be done.

Im in sales and I have a VNS, a VNS is about the worst thing you can have as a salesman because your speech is limited.

i am going out on a limb but for something better

Thank you all for your responses. The company decided to go with another candidate, but I'm fine. Everything else is starting to work out. :)

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that you are fine. :)

Thank you all for your responses. The company decided to go with another candidate, but I'm fine. Everything else is starting to work out. :)

that run around sh!t i just did too. I interviewed with a company 3 times, meet for coffee and did a large power point because it came down to me and one other.

Turns out, they didnt go with either of us and are now looking for someone with 20yrs experience rather than 10.

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that you are fine. :)

Thank you, Nak. I meant to tell you, in your first response to my post, you said, "Opportunities are not obligations." That statement was so profound to me. I realized my brain automatically links an opportunity to being a new obligation, and I need to work on that. Additionally, that's a great book title if you ever think of writing one. :)

that run around sh!t i just did too. I interviewed with a company 3 times, meet for coffee and did a large power point because it came down to me and one other.

Turns out, they didnt go with either of us and are now looking for someone with 20yrs experience rather than 10.

I'm sorry to hear this! That is such a bummer. Best wishes in finding a great job, really soon!

Back
Top Bottom