(Lack of) Reading Books

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

stuartbungle

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi
I've been taking Lamictal (lamotrigine) for over two and a half years now, since I started this drug I have had no desire to read books (I was an avid reader), I was put on Carbamazapine and the desire was there, read loads of books while on that, had to stop, then went on Lamictal, and its gone - one excuse I used to tell myself was I was just taking a break from reading but its never come back.

Do other people find this with Lamictal (lamotrigine)?

Have you managed to continue with Lamictal (lamotrigine), and regain the urge to read?

Thank you for your replies in advance!

This happened to me with zonisamide. I couldn't make it through more than a few pages of a book for years (unless it was required for work or school). I also take Lamictal but don't believe it has affected my reading habits all that much. I wonder if your issue is stemming from cognitive side effects, mood side effects (like depression), or something else. For me I think it was a combination. I also have a very short attention span, and that makes reading a little harder in the first place, but with zonisamide it was terrible. Now I love to read again. I feel for you and hope you can get back into your hobby.

I've been on Lamotrigine for a couple years now. But I've held onto my desire to read books. Even if it's a book I've read again and again, I'll still read it if I want to read something. A part of it is that my younger sister also loves to read and is able to go the book store when she wants and will give the new books to me after she's read them, so I have an almost constant stream of new books coming to me.

I had similar symptoms when I was on Tegretol (Carbamazapine). Not good to be averse to reading when you are trying to graduate from college.

For me it had to do with a general inability to concentrate and overwhelming sleepiness plus my eyes felt tired all the time as if I had been staring into the sun all day with no sun glasses.

Oh, and the headaches didn't help either.

And I always was an avid reader before and after the Tegretol.

Interesting. I thought I was the only one who can't read much. For me, it is my inability to process information that is the problem, and I also have a short attention span. Things just never feel right physically or mentally. In the textbook I am reading (trying to read) presently, I go through 2, 4, or maybe six pages a day. It does have a lot of information, considerable fine print, much new information, and it is very interesting.

I took Carbamazapine and never knew it was Tegretol. I only remembered Carbamazapine.

Last edited:
I'm a voracious reader and Lamictal hasn't changed that. Stuart, have you tried listening to audiobooks? Are you still interested in other kinds of storytelling (TV/movies/radio)? If it's only physical books that you've lost interest in, that suggests that the Lamictal might be affecting your vision, energy, and/or concentration. But if you've lost interest in all sorts of media, that tends to suggest that maybe Lamictal (or something else) is affecting your mood.

I'm a voracious reader and Lamictal hasn't changed that. Stuart, have you tried listening to audiobooks? Are you still interested in other kinds of storytelling (TV/movies/radio)? If it's only physical books that you've lost interest in, that suggests that the Lamictal might be affecting your vision, energy, and/or concentration. But if you've lost interest in all sorts of media, that tends to suggest that maybe Lamictal (or something else) is affecting your mood.
That's a good diagnostic distinction.
But then it could be an "all of the above" answer. That's what I had with Tegretol.

Felt a similar shift going from no meds to Tegretol. I've found that it's possible to overcome symptoms with physical exercise and repeated tasks. I now have to take notes when reading to really absorb anything.

The Power of Concentration by Theron Q Dumont (took me 3 months to read & its only 100+ pages) was filled with little exercises that helped me to break through that fog and get things done. One task was holding a glass of water until the water was perfectly still...then holding it for 10 seconds on each arm.

The realest thing he said in the book was that concentration was simply the will to do...and lack of concentration was simply the lack of the will to do. Sounds like the lethargy from the meds may be halting your process.

Felt a similar shift going from no meds to Tegretol. I've found that it's possible to overcome symptoms with physical exercise and repeated tasks. I now have to take notes when reading to really absorb anything.

The Power of Concentration by Theron Q Dumont (took me 3 months to read & its only 100+ pages) was filled with little exercises that helped me to break through that fog and get things done. One task was holding a glass of water until the water was perfectly still...then holding it for 10 seconds on each arm.

The realest thing he said in the book was that concentration was simply the will to do...and lack of concentration was simply the lack of the will to do. Sounds like the lethargy from the meds may be halting your process.

That's what I was thinking, maybe? Some meds can cause more brain fog, trade offs for some. I struggled to read for awhile one a high dose of my med now. I hope something can work, audio books are pretty great.

I can't find thread I started what are you reading think aloha and me only ones on it.The problem I have reading can only read with left eye have shut right eye so can focus

I can't find thread I started what are you reading think aloha and me only ones on it.The problem I have reading can only read with left eye have shut right eye so can focus

I had some serious problems with my vision recently. I was getting blurred and double vision. I could only read things for about 10 minutes then everything would get blurred and turn into two. I'd have trouble seeing the tv. I even had trouble walking most of the time because there was two of everything around me. I'd also have to close one eye so I could see things.

My neuro changed around the timing of my meds and had me take potassium pills. It took about two weeks but I finally started seeing things right again.

One of the meds I take is Lamictal but I'm not sure if it could have been the one causing the problems because it was Tegretol that the neuro changed the time I take of.

I got 6 pr of specs on bed beside me I change them for everything I surpposed have operation but wimp out.I am told due to stroke 18months ago.i was walking down the road and suddenly my eyes were looking at 2 things superimposed one image on other eye was horrible

I don't know if this is going to be helpful or not because it deals with cats and not humans.

Last summer my cat started running into things when he was walking. We took him to the vet and she told us that he had a stroke. He lost his hearing, was blind in one eye and almost blind in the other eye. She wasn't completely positive about her diagnoses and said that we'd have to take him to have all sorts of fancy tests done to be sure but we decided not to because he's about 16 years old.

It's very possible that the stroke has something to do with your eyesight now.

Like I said, not sure if that was helpful?

Hi Stuartbungle,

It's funny that you brought this subject up, because ever since I developed E and was put on Phenobarbital, I can't read anymore. I can read small short passages. But after about a paragraph or two, I start to get lost. I used to love reading Steven King books. Now, I can hardly read long posts on this forum. Yeah, it really sux!

I don't know if this is going to be helpful or not because it deals with cats and not humans.

Last summer my cat started running into things when he was walking. We took him to the vet and she told us that he had a stroke. He lost his hearing, was blind in one eye and almost blind in the other eye. She wasn't completely positive about her diagnoses and said that we'd have to take him to have all sorts of fancy tests done to be sure but we decided not to because he's about 16 years old.

It's very possible that the stroke has something to do with your eyesight now.

Like I said, not sure if that was helpful?

OH god you did not have it put down did you

OH god you did not have it put down did you

No, and I thought for sure we were going to have to!

He's eating and using the litter box. He's going around the house just fine, bumps into things every so often. Getting on the furniture and jumping on my bed. I had to put a box beside the bed to help him get on it because it's really high but I think not being able to jump on it is due to his age. His nose sure works too, I think he can smell food for a mile away! The way he acts when food's out you'd think we never feed him!

We said when all these things stop, mainly eating and using the litter box, then we're going to have to take it into consideration. I have a real feeling this old boy is going to go on his own though!

just books ?

Not only books ,but television and cinema , my concentration just wanders or i get easily bored . I often get called a fidget yet truth be told its my lack of concentration .

I agree with NaomiD. It's not just books. My wife and I laugh at how much money we save due to E. We can watch a move like today...and then watch it again in 3 months like it's a movie we never saw. We buy a lot of DVD box sets and have been watching them for years like we never saw the before, LOL

See, there are some advantages to having E :banana:

I agree with NaomiD. It's not just books. My wife and I laugh at how much money we save due to E. We can watch a move like today...and then watch it again in 3 months like it's a movie we never saw. We buy a lot of DVD box sets and have been watching them for years like we never saw the before, LOL

See, there are some advantages to having E :banana:

Phew thank god I'm not alone lol . Although having it's advantages , you never wan't to start watching a soap or long running series on television .

Back
Top Bottom