(Lack of) Reading Books

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've lost the desire to read while on Lamictal, mostly because if I set the book aside for a couple of days I forget all the chapters I've read. This is distressing to me because I have so many books that I've bought over the years still sitting here unread. And if I do finish a book, ask me in a month what it was about, details about it, and I draw a complete blank.

I am also on Lamontrigine for probably the last four years. I was previously on tegretol for close to eight years. I don't really remember an issue with reading with tegretol, but I don't remember lots of things. I try to do some reading but due to various factors I have lost some of the desire. I forget what I have read quite quickly. Work things that I have or need to read get read many times over. I remember work stuff over time with continuous review.

Reading for leisure can be frustrating. Likely due to lack of focus it probably takes 2 -3 times longer to ready what most people will read something. Similar to somebody else's comment it took me close to a year to read a 100 page book. Lot's of underlining in each chapter, but still don't have a clue about the book unless I start it over again. I will forget what I have read usually within 10 minutes or so. I'll reread the previous page sometimes to get myself back on track.

I have had some occasions where I had to stop reading because it seemed like the words on my tablet or book that I was reading was "moving/floating" in certain areas of the page. I never did tell my family doctor or neurologist about that one. I don't know what you could attribute that one to?

My wife will have me read a section of book or an email that she needs my opinion on or she thinks is interesting. She'll ask what I think and I'm barely 1/3rd of the way through. I read like a snail.

My memory is terrible. Like JRR and Naomi, I watch movies over and over and it's like I've never seen them. LOL

My wife is on lamictal, though and she continues to read, write, and obsess over video games that are past their time. Everyone's experience is different.

Back
Top Bottom