Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
I've been taking Lamictal for sometime. I understand it's very rare to have hair loss as a side effect but it seems that I'm always one in a billion to have a rare side effect. Just wondering if anyone on Lamictal has experienced hair loss shortly after taking it? I'm wondering if it's accumulated in my system and just recently got to this point?

Cinnabar --

I don't think it's that rare to experience hair loss with Lamictal. (Just type in Lamictal and hair loss" into your search engine, and you'd be amazed how many testimonials you'll find.) I started taking Lamictal last fall, and almost immediately my hair began to fall out at a noticeably faster rate. And I'm on a very low dose! Now, 6 months later, I think the rate of loss is beginning to slow. It can take awhile for the body to adjust, or it might not adjust at all -- it's different for every person.
If your hair loss continues to be dramatic and disturbing, then it's worth talking to your doctor about it, and deciding if it or any other side effects outweigh the benefit of the drug.

--Nakamova

Did not experience Lamictal hair loss, but sure
did develop allergies due to rash, congestion,
and fever ---> which I posted that on another
thread ... but do call your Neurologist; sometimes
these things are just temporary and other times,
you can just tolerate it.

Normally, everyone experiences hair loss; and
people with thicker hair notices it more than people
with thin hair and yet, people with thin hair actually
LOOSE more hair than those with thick hair.

Go figure! And one does not necessarily have to
be on medication either - it can be also an inherited
trait, getting older, improper diet, stress, anxiety,
and so on.

But do alert your Doctor nonetheless.

Thank you Sharon and Nakamova:

There could be a miriad of reasons for this hair loss. Lamictal. The strange thing is that I've been on brand name Lamictal for years without any side effects.

My doctor wrote out script for the generic about 4-5 months ago. I discovered this at Pick Up and just assumed it would act same as brand name. Whack on the head...I should have discussed the "whys' of this with my doctor. Turned out he admitted to making a mistake... Placed me back on brand name.

I gave it a month for generic to leave my system. Hair loss continues. Now, it's three months later.

Sharon, I see my neurologist on Monday. Last time I was there he was firm, stating that Lamictal didn't cause hair loss. I'm not letting this go. It's beyond the point of vanity. I now have an anxiety attack before stepping into the shower. Rapid, shallow breathing is a huge trigger for me. All in all, not good.

Last edited:
Cinnabar --

Going on and off a medication (even switching from barnad name to generic to back again) can make your system respond differently the second time -- and in combination with aging or other systemic changes could explain why you're experiencing hair loss now but didn't before.

My neurologist also claimed that Lamictal doesn't cause hair loss -- she tried to claim that it was a sign of diabetes. (Which it may be for some, but since I don't have diabetes, and the hair loss clearly started with the Lamictal, I think my neuro is being disingenuous.) Again, I want to emphasize -- many, many people have hair loss from Lamictal (and other meds, as Sharon points out). Some folks cope by taking Biotin supplements or trying different shampoos. I was relieved when the hair loss started to slow at 6 months in, so it may just be a matter of time for you, as your body re-adjusts to the drug.

Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom