Lamictal and High Energy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ravensong

Stalwart
Reaction score
I started Lamictal about 6 weeks ago, increasing to 100mg at night. My neuro is switching me from Topamax (which I've been on for years) to Lamictal, to see if it has been contributing to my depression and low energy.

Since I started the Lamictal - and esp. in the last week - my energy level has been very high, like almost manic level at times. And I've been a bit more disorganized and chaotic than usual. I'm not complaining - yet - because I'm getting way more done than I've ever managed, and I actually feel so much better. But I'm trying to figure out why I feel this way. If, in fact, it could be the reduction in Topamax (I'm currently on 100mg) or the addition of the Lamictal or a combination, or if it's something else.

Anybody else have a similar experience with either of these drugs?

When I first went on Lamictal I also experienced that slightly manic, hyper-perky feeling (though I was more focused than usual, rather than less so). I also had very restless sleep (with intense nightmares). After about two months, those side effects went away, probably because my brain had adjusted to a steady dose.

I think these effects may be due to the fact that Lamictal can also work as a mood stabilizer -- so there's an initial break in-period during where the brain is more reactive until a baseline is established. Also, generally speaking, Lamictal has more of a net "up" effect than a "down" one, so depending on an individual's baseline, he/she may feel the "up" more acutely.

Many people also complain about a dulling effect from Topamax ("Dopamax"), so it's definitely possible that the reduction in Topamax is also a factor in what you're feeling.

Keep track of how you're feeling now, and how you feel over the next few weeks and months as the med changeover becomes finalized.

When I first went on Lamictal I also experienced that slightly manic, hyper-perky feeling (though I was more focused than usual, rather than less so). I also had very restless sleep (with intense nightmares). After about two months, those side effects went away, probably because my brain had adjusted to a steady dose.

<snip>

Keep track of how you're feeling now, and how you feel over the next few weeks and months as the med changeover becomes finalized.

Thank you for this! I definitely also have the restless sleep - I'm not getting any restorative sleep at all and am pulling the sheets out of the bottom of my mattress at night. It's good to hear this is related to Lamictal. And will be, hopefully. short-term.

I know about Topamax, which is why I insisted on a change. Took awhile to convince my neuro, but he finally agreed. So far, so good!

Makes me sleepy. But I'm also taking Trileptal so maybe that's why. People here call Topamax "dopeamax" and it makes them kind of dull so maybe it's because you don't feel that way?

Back
Top Bottom