Lamictal and night sweats

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've noticed that since I've been on Lamictal, nearly every morning I wake up with the sheets soaked with sweat. Gross. Is the Lamictal causing it? Anyone else?

What dose

are you on? I'm being titrated on, and don't have that problem. I have been on Lamictal previously, at 100 mg TID, and didn't have that problem then, either.

But then again, I have been diagnosed as hypothyroid......so I am always cold....

I'm on 200 mg/day. I wonder what else can cause that? I keep the house pretty cool at night.

I'm on 200mg/day Lamictal too. When I first started out on it, I experienced the night sweats you describe. After a few months my body seemed to adapt, so and the sweating diminished. I did experiment with what times I take my doses, so that might have been a factor. (Right now I take 100mg at 7:30 a.m. and 100mg at 5pm).

Lamictal and night sweats? Oh yea, I know what you're talking about because I'm also on Lamictal, along with Keppra, and I've had many of those periods of night sweats myself.

What I've done in order to see if I could narrow down what might be causing me to experience short periods of night sweats, is with the ceiling fan above my bed. There are 3 speed settings on the ceiling fan (high, medium, and low) and it appears that whenever I have the fan on low speed, that's the only time I end up with any night sweating periods. So what I've been doing, because it seems to be working for me, is even with the a/c set on 75 degrees, I also need to keep the ceiling fan on at least medium speed. The 75 degrees and medium speed ceiling fan will make me feel chilly, so I must have a sheet and lite blanket covering everything except my head, in order keep my body warm enough, but to help me avoid periods of night sweats. It works for me, so you might want to try something like this yourself.

Thank you both so much. I'll try both altering when I take the meds and the fan.

If the night sweats are the result of fevers, it could be serious:

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/lamotrigine.html

If not, there may be something else going on. A quick search around the internet did provide a few other anecdotal reports of people experiencing night sweats attributed to Lamictal.

I wonder if it might be contributing to some form of sleep apnea.

Should I mention the night sweating to someone then? My neurologist or regular doctor? Thanks for the information.

I would

mention them to both, see what each of them say. Also, ask your pharmacist about it. I tend to find that my pharmacist is quite the wealth of information...

I too experience night sweats on Lamictal XR 300mg. I recently started the meds a month or so ago. I noticed the sweats started after I increased to 200 and have become more frequent at 300.

I did a little research on night sweats and web md says that antidepressants can cause night sweats and Lamictal is also used as a mood stabilizer. This could be the reason for the yucky sheet drenching sweats.:soap:

Amanda

I experienced the night sweats on Lamictal, but only for the first couple of months. The sweating stopped when my body adjusted to the med.

I've been on Lamictal for a long time now and just with in the last month or so I've woke up sweating like crazy. I end up pulling my pj's off. I don't even bother putting them on anymore when I go to bed. But my feet seem to be always freezing lately, I've had to keep socks on, which I've never been able to sleep with on before.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the Lamictal or not because like I said, I've been on it for a long time now.

Yes I have had the night sweats. I am on 200mg BID. I don't get them every night. At first when it happened I thought I had the flu again. Now I know better.

I have never had any issues with sweating. Just wondering if it could be linked to the vivid dreaming that many people heve with Lamictal. A strong dream may be inducing a response. Just a thought.

night sweats too :-(

I too am having the night sweats. I am very new to this whole thing and can I say, it just SUCKS? :) They have lowered my dose due to severe vertigo, and headaches, 50mg morning and night, but the last 3 nights I have had a fever of 102.9 in the evening, with a terrible cough all day for a week. Went to the Dr yesterday, said it was a viral infection. Don't have a fever during the day, but it spikes at night. I wake up 3 times at night and have to put towels down. I am so tired of it!! Just wondering if is the meds or if I am fighting something else off?

I have been on Lamictal for 2 years, 600mg. OMG - night sweats like you wouldn't believe. Not a fever, just part and parcel. I guess it is just about what will you tolerate for even some measure of control. It is the only thing that keeps my T/Cs in check (unless this, that, or the other ;) ).

I'm on 550 mg a day, and night sweats every night. Even in the dead of winter and the furnace is on the fritz I'm still sweating.

I'm not sure if it's related but I'm always warm during the day. Way more than anyone else I know, people will be wearing sweaters and I'm in shorts. I can't stand the heat.. I'd rather have -30°C than +30 any day.

Manda mentioned a spiking fever. I'm not on lamictal, I'm on trileptal. I have a low grade fever that spikes at night, ranging from 99.9 to 100.8. It's been going on for about a month and a half. My neurologist says it can't be the trileptal, and my PCP says not to worry about it unless it gets above 101. But I'm worried about it. Seems like it's doing this for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom