Lamictal Question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone take Lamictal by itself or is it a drug that's prescribed to aid another epileptic drug?

I take Lamictal by itself. For a long time I was combining drugs, then, Lamictal/Lamotrigine, ended up being 'The right one'

I'm glad it's working for you. I have so much Lamictal because my doctor gave me too much of it. The dosage is wrong on my prescription bottle. I keep it because I'm just afraid that my husband may lose his job and then we'll lose our insurance and not be able to afford Cobra (continuation of coverage). My doctor prescribed it to boost up Keppra's effectiveness. Atleast, that's what he said. I didn't know if it was okay to take Lamictal by itself. Thanks for responding. How are you doing is everything going well up there in Canada?

My doc first put me on Keppra and when Keppra wasn't working she added Lamictal. Then after about a year she decided that Keppra was not the one doing the job so she weaned me off of Keppra. I was exclusively on lamictal/lamotrigine for 3.5 yrs. I stopped taking it, so I had a seizure, now I'm taking it again. I have Complex Partials --> Tonic Clonic

i take it that is actually a smart idea cause its quite expensive and it can be used as both depends on patient.if your fine with just lamictal it is one of the aeds that is a primary

I started on Keppra and then the neurologist added in Lamictal XR about five weeks ago because I was still getting partials on the Keppra. When I told him I was getting a lot of partials in the morning and evening right before I took my doses of Keppra (I was still on two-a day Keppra and once daily Lamictal XR), he changed me to Keppra XR at night and upped the dose by 250 mg along with the Lamictal XR, which I am still titrating up. This was on Tuesday and thus far it seems to be doing the trick. Then again it's hard to say because it hasn't even been a week...

Initially he was going to try to wean me off of the Keppra and put me on just Lamictal, but I think because I told him I had two days of particularly strong partials a couple of weeks ago, he upped the dosage.

I think they're working pretty well together so far.

I take Lamotrigne (Lamictal). I find it good. Don't feel like I am taking anything.

I take Lamotrigine solo, and it works fine to control my seizures.

Often when an anti-seizure med is first introduced to the market, it's done so as an adjunct (add-on) drug for safety reasons -- it's unreasonable for drug companies to ask someone to just swap out an existing med for an unknown, untested one. But over time, as the med becomes more and more used, it is slowly tested for monotherapy. At this point Lamotrigine has been around for a good long time, and is regularly prescribed for monotherapy alone. Because it can take a while to get up to a therapeutic dose of Lamotrigine, docs will sometimes start with a different AED first, and then make the switch later.

Back
Top Bottom