Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator / Even Keel

Thanked 1,234 Times in 954 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Endless
Sarah,

Have you thought about taking your daughter to a dermatologist? They can determine if it is just an allergic rash, or the BAD rash (stevens johnson syndrome). The following link has pictures, but they are really bad cases. SJS can be much milder and involve other symptoms. See the SJS fact sheet.
http://sjsupport.org/fact.shtml

If it's SJS, she needs to go off the lamictal right away. Do this only with a doctor's guidance. If it's just an allergic rash, some dermatologists will treat her through it until it disappears. They sometimes go away in a few months. That's what happened with mine. A dermatologist looked at it and confirmed it was just an allergic rash. She gave me some antihistamines and steroid creams until it dissapeared in a month or two, but in the meantime she watched me like a hawk in case it turned into SJS.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,323 Times in 5,406 Posts
Contact both her neurologist and her dermatologist. Many people seem to develop allergic reactions/rash with Lamictal. A very few people develop a serious rash that can lead to something called Stevens-Johnson syndrome. While it sounds unlikely that your daughter has SJS, you should definitely let her neurologist about the rash, and see what can be done about making it go away. This might involve going down on the Lamictal dose a bit and/or taking antihistamines.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
New Here

Hi guys. first time poster..

I was on Lamictal 250mg for 7 years. Since I started developing partial complex seizures(1/month), they upped my dosage to 300mg. After a few weeks, I developed "hives" that are spot on(pardon the pun) to the picture above. I had to take Prednisone, and they came back after the effects wore out.

neurologist then decided to put me on Vimpat 250mg which I adapted to well, but unfortunately the hives still persisted. Went back to the neurologist and now they want me to be on Depakote ER 1500mg. Seems like they are wanting to make sure that the hives are not an allergic reaction from the meds.

Apparently, the "ring like" structure that Lamictal and Vimpat are made of could cause similar reactions, and once I am allergic to one, then all others would follow.

I just hate having to jump from medication to medication. Is anyone on Depakote ER that has previously been on Vimpat or Lamictal? What are the immediate side effects? The side effects list is pretty horrible!!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!