Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sarah,

Have you thought about taking your daughter to a dermatologist? They can determine if it is just an allergic rash, or the BAD rash (stevens johnson syndrome). The following link has pictures, but they are really bad cases. SJS can be much milder and involve other symptoms. See the SJS fact sheet.
http://sjsupport.org/fact.shtml

If it's SJS, she needs to go off the lamictal right away. Do this only with a doctor's guidance. If it's just an allergic rash, some dermatologists will treat her through it until it disappears. They sometimes go away in a few months. That's what happened with mine. A dermatologist looked at it and confirmed it was just an allergic rash. She gave me some antihistamines and steroid creams until it dissapeared in a month or two, but in the meantime she watched me like a hawk in case it turned into SJS.

Contact both her neurologist and her dermatologist. Many people seem to develop allergic reactions/rash with Lamictal. A very few people develop a serious rash that can lead to something called Stevens-Johnson syndrome. While it sounds unlikely that your daughter has SJS, you should definitely let her neuro about the rash, and see what can be done about making it go away. This might involve going down on the Lamictal dose a bit and/or taking antihistamines.

Hi guys. first time poster..

I was on Lamictal 250mg for 7 years. Since I started developing partial complex seizures(1/month), they upped my dosage to 300mg. After a few weeks, I developed "hives" that are spot on(pardon the pun) to the picture above. I had to take Prednisone, and they came back after the effects wore out.

Neuro then decided to put me on Vimpat 250mg which I adapted to well, but unfortunately the hives still persisted. Went back to the Neuro and now they want me to be on Depakote ER 1500mg. Seems like they are wanting to make sure that the hives are not an allergic reaction from the meds.

Apparently, the "ring like" structure that Lamictal and Vimpat are made of could cause similar reactions, and once I am allergic to one, then all others would follow.

I just hate having to jump from medication to medication. Is anyone on Depakote ER that has previously been on Vimpat or Lamictal? What are the immediate side effects? The side effects list is pretty horrible!!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom