lamotrigine, epilepsy drugs and birth defects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi I am new to this and can see that these post are from a few months back.
I am currently on Epilem (1500 mgs a day) and have been for the past nearly 9 years since my son was born.
I didn't have to start taking meds til after he was born so I had no trouble being pregnant with him.
I sustained a head injury when I was 3 and as a result began to suffer from absences which I grew out of at age 14 and it wasn't until the day I had my son that I had a full tonic clonic seizure.
The epilem has controlled it ever since (They tried me on Tegratol and other drugs but they didn't work).
However now I am married and would like to have another child and I am currently on the advice of my neurologist starting to build up my levels of Lamotrigine before I start weining off the Epilem.
Providing the Lamotrigine can control my seizures I have been told that this is the best option for me to have children with.
I am looking for any information help that women or men can give me from their own experiences with this drug and pregnancy.
Thanks!

Try looking

at some of these threads. Hopefully they'll give you some insight....

LAMICTAL AND PREGNANCY THREADS

Welcome to CWE, angeldust. There's plenty of nooks and crannies here, friends to make, and information to find. The Kitchen and Library are great for all sorts of info, the Padded Room is great when you need to vent (and who doesn't?)

So feel free to kick up your feet, and hang out. Mr B, our host, has built us an AWESOME home here....

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

They were studying deLakota and pregnancies. When I got pregnant 17 years ago.. Alex now well had to be. weened off the med. He was born early6 weeks. He didnt. Babble or talk till he was 6years old. Now he is 17 my baby has 1 kidnèy scoliosis 'and aabergers.
Bernard is right. It is much more than having a baby. It is a tough job. And if you are married you have to have alot of love. Because I am doing thiis alone"

Back
Top Bottom