10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Houston, TX
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Getting Comfortable

Laser Ablation?

Any insights or experiences?

Last edited by rjsulliv79; 02-17-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,308 Times in 5,391 Posts
Did you mean this kind of thing: http://neurosurgery.ucsf.edu/index.p...r-surgery.html
Old 02-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Getting Comfortable

Yes, I have right temporal lobe lesions, and an EMU stay indicated that my seizures may be originating from the area that they occupy. It's fairly new technology, and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Originally Posted by rjsulliv79 View Post:
Any insights or experiences?
Very first thing I can tell you is you won't feel a laser - you'll be highly sedated especially if it will come near your head. I had a laser surgery that was done and was highly sedated plus my head was actually put in place to ensure the correct line of the laser measurement was done.

Laser surgery takes a very fine touch and it is something that requires the patient to be absolutely still so they cannot risk you even being awake during the surgery. I can almost bet that if this is something being discussed there will be a general anesthetic used to put you to sleep before the procedure to ensure your safety and the procedure will be done correctly.

I would ask the doctor who has suggested this type procedure if it is the case. On another note, I would also find out how long the procedure will be. Every situation which a laser is medically used is different.

I do wish you the best of luck and hope I was able to provide some insight. =)

-Sue

Last edited by suebear; 03-10-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Joined the Party

This is a possibility for me. I go in for an intracranial EEG for a week. Insertion of electrodes on May 1. In for a week to see exact location. Yes, I've had all of the tests and exams and all. After getting all the info, we are going to decide if laser is better, or regular extraction. NeuroPace device a possibility, but neurosurgeon didn't seem to optimistic about that since the Vagus Nerve Stimulator didn't do anything for me.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by kyrissa View Post:
This is a possibility for me. I go in for an intracranial EEG for a week. Insertion of electrodes on May 1. In for a week to see exact location. Yes, I've had all of the tests and exams and all. After getting all the info, we are going to decide if laser is better, or regular extraction. NeuroPace device a possibility, but neurosurgeon didn't seem to optimistic about that since the Vagus Nerve Stimulator didn't do anything for me.
What I can suggest is ask if you can contact the manufacturer of the device themselves and ask questions about how the device works. I was able to speak with a nurse through the manufacturer and that gave me a lot of understanding and better frame of mind before I went to surgery as it was a great support system. Hope that helps!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Joined the Party

Laser surgery certainly sounds better than the old type of surgery especially on the head. It's still new so does it work? Has anyone here had it done? I have a friend and it's being considered for her.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:28 AM

I've had a DBS for Epilepsy which is a specific device in itself and went through MedTronic representative to speak with them prior to the surgical time. The representative answered all of my questions and provided me with someone who is in the local area that I could speak with directly for answering questions.

A suggestion that I would give to you is looking into the same option. Your doctor should provide you with a representative for your type of surgery that is considered as the representatives know information more than the doctor and can answer medical questions that you have about the surgery and the device, if there is a device being used.

The only ablation that I am having done is taking place on my lower back to remove nerves. Something that you do need to keep in mind when it comes to ablation which I have been told, nerves do grow back; I have been told this by the neurologist. They don't do it quickly but over time they will grow back. The above is my thoughts on the matter. I wish you the best in finding all documentation on the medical procedure that is in question.

Regards,
Suebear