a late allergic reaction?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seizuregirl

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been on vimpat for almost a year, in 3 wks really, and the skin on my face has been turning more and more red in the past 4 months.

I've always had dry skin on my face, mostly on my cheekbones with a small bit on my forehead above my eyebrows, that seemed like I could take a piece of high grit sandpaper to it and it would never be smooth, but with vimpat those areas are now red along with some of the skin on my forehead and starting to show on my chin too.

When I started vimpat, I could feel it irritating my skin, it was a bit more dry than normal, but the last time I had an allergic reaction was when I started dilantin, I had a whole body rash when I woke up the following day of starting it, and since this is only my face that's doing this, and vimpat has been the best of all the meds I've ever been on that's suppressed my seizures, it's making me very reluctant about calling my dr and telling him about it!

Last edited:
Have you seen a dermatologist? That might be helpful in ruling in or out other causes. If Vimpat does seem like the culprit, then maybe a dermatologist could recommend preventive or maintenance treatments to minimize the redness and irritation.

I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist too.

I've had skin problems at least 15 years, it started when I was a teenager, before I had epilepsy and started taking meds for it.

I had very dry skin on my face, sometimes flaking off and very bad dandruff. I went to a dermatologist for it and he told me that some of the things that could be causing it was lotions, soap, shampoo, hair styling products (like hair spry and mouse) and laundry detergents that I use.

He told me to just use basic soap (like Dove), Head and Shoulders shampoo and lotions like Neutrogena or Lubriderm. Don't use anything fancy like the stuff that comes from Bath and Body Works or places like that. He said to use just the basic laundry detergents, nothing with all sorts of other other things added to them like to make your clothes smell better and stuff like that. Fabric softeners and dryer sheets could be causing it too. Hair styling products were something I use were something that I'd really have to figure out on my own but don't use anything too fancy. I stopped using mouse and gel by my own choice.

He gave me some prescription shampoo and lotion. When the prescription ran out I started doing all the other things he said and really don't have any problems now.

The weather can cause problems for me too. Usually in the winter when it's cold I'll get flaky dry skin.

Hi. Seeing a dermatologist would be the best thing. What you're describing sounds more like eczema than an allergic reaction--especially since you already had dryness in those areas.

Back
Top Bottom