License Suspended... never knew...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Got pulled over for the first time in years today... cop came back, said my license was suspended and gave me a traffic ticket for driving on a suspended license... when I got mky license renewed in Ohio, I told them I'd had a recent seizure and they reissued me a new license.. I just had them keep the same address because I was living in between places at the time and I went on my way.... apparently six dayus after i got my license, it was suspended and I never knew it... so I drove for 2 years on a suspended license... I havent had a Grand Mal since 06/12, although I suffer from JME badly in other ways...hopefully I'm not going to jail but beyond that, how do I get my license back? I don't have a doctor and haven't had meds in years... I self reported and they killed my license without me knowing.,..

Hey Andrew,
So what state are you in now? Here in Florida they can suspend your license but they notify you. Many times that notification will not get to you (especially if you're between places.) You will have to go to court. I don't know about having seizures. You may need to bring a drs. note with you explaining that you haven't had a seizure since ..... You will not go to jail!
Call the DMV and they will tell you exactly what you need.
Good Luck!
M

I lived in Indiana off and on when I re-upped the license in Ohio but have lived in Indiana full time since it got renewed...

Don't worry about going to jail, but call a lawyer. Let them pick apart the case and it will be cheaper and quicker than any other way. Hopefully you'll just end up paying the lawyer and court costs.

In PA you just get a fine for driving with a suspended license.

So just to recap you self reported a seizure and they took your license without notifying you? Is that correct? To get it back you are going to need to get the proper forms from the DMV and then you'll have to get your neuro or dr to fill out the papers on your behalf and send em back in. Its a long and torturous process. I've gone through it here in PA several times. I would get started on that right away though. And I would recommend faxing everything as regular snail mail takes way to long.
Good luck !

I'm in IL and in order to get your license back after suspended for seizures they have a 2 page document your nuro has to fill out and sign. Then you just have to take the eye test, written test and driving test.

I had to go to the DMV last week since my license expired the 25th of this month (I havn't been driving though, just using it for ID). Anyway now I have a State ID. That's how I got my info.

In PA you just get a fine for driving with a suspended license.

So just to recap you self reported a seizure and they took your license without notifying you? Is that correct? To get it back you are going to need to get the proper forms from the DMV and then you'll have to get your neuro or dr to fill out the papers on your behalf and send em back in. Its a long and torturous process. I've gone through it here in PA several times. I would get started on that right away though. And I would recommend faxing everything as regular snail mail takes way to long.
Good luck !

Pretty much but I know why I wasn't notified... I was living between homes at the time I re-upped my license and just told em to leave the old address(the one I didn't live at and hadn't for awhile) on there, although I did have mail forwarding at some point... but it's my own fault, I figured I'd never need mail from the DMV out of the blue... so I self reported, they suspended my license a week later and sent the notification I assume to a place I didn't live because I didn't really live anywhere when I re-upped the license... I was just physically in Ohio at the time, splitting time between a couple of aunts for a month or so... and like 2 weeks after getting my ohio license, I moved back to Indiana... it's a long drawn out mess... I'm never in Ohio, haven't lived there in nearly two years and now my license is suspended there, so I have to go tell the Ohio court that the reason I didn't know about my suspencion is because I gave them faulty information when I got my reissue(although that's probably the much lesser of two evils) so it's gonna be a big hunky-dory mess and I've been ticketed and have to go to court for it.

And now, apparently, after talking to the DMV, I have to get a Doctor to okay me to drive altohugh I haven't had a doctor in years and haven't been on medication in years... I doubt a doctor is going to take me on my word though if I show up with the form... he'll want to diagnose me, he'll find something wrong and it's very real he or she might not actually let me drive again... this is madness... this is SPARTA... (I'm slaphappy... only got 2 hours sleep last night after all this carfunkle... and I've been jerking myoclonus magic ever since....)

Back
Top Bottom