Life Insurance for Canadians?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am trying to get life insurance. Right now in our financial situation if I were to die, my husband would not be able to support our family for very long. I'm sure he could find a way to get by, but it would be very difficult. We can, however, shell out a few hundred right now for life insurance. He had no problems. (we joke that if any of us dies it has to be him). I was refused because of the seizures and do not take medication.
The agent asked me if it was really urgent to get life insurance, just wait a year. My response "I'm not planning to die anytime soon!! That's the point of life insurance isn't it? We never know what will happen!" Urgent...sheesh! If I knew when I was going to die, I wouldn't want to shell out a few hundred every year for protection just in case. I would just get it the day before I was going to die.
I had been seizure free for over two years by treating myself with diet. My recent pregnancy had a lot of morning sickness, hence it was tricky to maintain my diet properly. During that time I had two seizures. Of course, explaining to the insurance agent that I am no longer pregnant and therefore it is not a problem anymore was not good enough for them. I asked about guaranteed life insurance, but they are reluctant as well.
I have checked with our local Epilepsy foundation, and have done tons and tons of internet searches with no luck whatsoever.
I am going to try a different agent, but would like to be better armed before I go.
Does anybody out there have life insurance? How did you get it, what kind did you get etc. (I am Canadian, specifically Alberta, but will take any advice)

I had AIL for a while. only cost about 67 a month. You can also try blue cross or Empire Life.

I live in the United States, so I might not be much help. My employer has a group life insurance plan - so all of us have life insurance without having to individually apply and meet certain criteria. Lucky.

To Endless, if you were to die of a seizure though would that count as a pre-existing medical condition and you would get nothing?? Or was it more like a guaranteed life plan?

Guaranteed life plan. Everybody who works for the company is covered, regardless of health status or pre-existing conditions. And if I ever leave the company the insurance is convertable. In other words, I can take the coverage with me without having to reapply, but I have to pay the premiums instead of the company paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom