Lion's Mane

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lovelace

New
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Lion's Mane to help with their seizure control? I hear that it helps improve cognitive functioning. I can't ask the doctors because they are often against anything that is natural and can help improve your health. They often recommend more medicine instead. I have some Lion's Mane but I don't want to try it until I learn more about it.

Thanks

Hey Lovelace, I don't think I remember Lion's Mane being discussed on the forum, but other members may weigh in.

If you decide to try the Lion's Mane:

1. It's a good idea to keep your neuro in the loop even if she/he disapproves of your choice.
2. Keep in mind that supplements are not closely regulated and tested in their ingredients. There are a lot of health claims made for Lion's Mane that have not been confirmed by thorough testing. You may or may not be getting what's on the label, and there might be fillers or other ingredients that aren't listed.
3. Proceed with caution. Any drug that affects the brain can have powerful and unpredictable results. Just as with the seizure medications, some supplements (such as melatonin) that are purported to help with some kinds of seizures can make other kinds of seizures worse. And of course, what works for one person may not work for another (just as with seizure meds). Lion's Mane may interact with any other medications you are taking, or with things you eat and drink. Start with the tiniest dose possible and wait at least 48 hours to see how you feel.

Back
Top Bottom