List of Sports & Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Candlepin bowling isn't the same as ninepins. Candlepin uses ten pins, but unlike "big ball bowling" the pins are skinny and tapered at both ends. Because the ball is small and the pins are narrow, it's a lot harder to get a strike in candlepin. On the other hand, you get three shots rather than two, and you get to use the downed pins -- they aren't cleared away in between shots.

You can still play candlepin in Massachusetts, VT, NH, Maine and parts of Canada . maybe it disappeared from Rhode Island.

I've played duckpin too, down in Maryland.

Wow, neat! Yeah, that's a little different. I think in ninepins (if my memory serves me well--these days it's a wonder if it serves me at all ;) ) you get three shots as well, but other than that it's like bowling.

You can play candlepin here, 9 pin. 5 pin and 10 pin. plus bocci or lawn bowling :)

Due to the IIH (idiopathic intracranial hypertension) I'm not allowed to do any exercising until they get the pressure down in my head. But they couldn't have possibly meant no bowling!

Hey, you Canadians! I have always wanted to learn how to curl. It looks so fun! Wish we had a curling rink. Maybe during the next big freeze I can take a big wheel of cheese out into the driveway. :)

I had a great relationship with my dad in H.S. but our point of contention was my surfing addiction. I'd been a state championship swimmer, but was kicked off the team, so i had even more free time on my hands to boot.

I had to stash my board at my friend's house and surreptitiously sneak away to surf without my parents finding out. I had a long leash so I could switch ankles to get rid of the tan line.

I can't imagine outliving a kid. It's the last thing I'd like to put my parents and my family through, but at least they'd have some reassurance i died painlessly doing what i love. It's selfish, I know, but que sera, sera.

Also, they have some ripcord pfd's now too, kind of like the ones on airplanes you can inflate in a jiffy if you need. Not sure what they're running price-wise now, but it was in the range of a midline paddler pfd. Totally worth it. :rock:

I have a pfd that automatically inflates when you hit the water. (for sailing) Boy, would that ever kept you on your board! If you fell off you'd bet "booof"ed. I fell overboard once and it went off kind of like a car's air bag.

BTW... props to you for sneaking out to surf! Excellent! lol...

Thanks, Endless. I didn't mean to sound like i was gloating about the swimming (I was only 'state championship'- top 3 a few times, but never the champ). I certainly wouldn't condone the decision for anyone else. We're at greater risk, it's true. I take extra precautions and alter my lifestyle as best i can to avoid preventable accidents short of forfeiting my passions.

Okay, I might die, but if I quit doing what I love, doesn't that part of me die besides? I know it's not the same as flat-line, peace-out, death death, but what if i identify as a surfer? What if i'm one of those goofball live and breathe and dream of surfing types?

Maybe I'm just stubborn, and I admittedly have a personal vendetta against epilepsy, and sure, maybe some denial even after all these years, but I refuse to give IT that sort of power over my life. My driver's license- sure, sense of independence- fine, a chance at my dream career- if you must, a shred of dignity out in public in a small town (not to mention any chance ever with any of the first responders or firemen)- okay, sheesh, take that too, but I'll be damned, Epilepsy, if I let you take away my passions. Not. a. chance.

Endless,
CURLING IS NOT A SPORT!!
Throwing a rock down some ice that requires no physical skill is not a sport. The ice is pebbled (not smooth) so that the stone curls while it slides. So even if you have perfect aim, one small pebble that is not perfect can ruin the whole throw. Its no fun and you freeze your but off, plus if your a sweeper you run the risk of falling on your head.

Or you can go turkey bowling:

Visit local 24-hour supermarket sometime after midnight. Set up ten 2-liter bottles at the end of the aisle. Select a good-sized frozen turkey. Aim. Release! Repeat as necessary...

So the next time I am up in RI, maybe I will take a trip to Mass and you can show me how this turkey bowling works??

disc golf is where I am at. been playing over 12 years now. Lots of exercise and throwing something 400' away is beautiful. Have to make the putt, although I have 15 hole in one's all under 400'

One of our local groceries actually HAS turkey bowling on valentine's day. They have a singles night that starts around 9pm, with appetizers, beverages, scavenger hunts, and turkey bowling. It's really fun!

Not a sport?

Endless,
CURLING IS NOT A SPORT!!
Throwing a rock down some ice that requires no physical skill is not a sport. The ice is pebbled (not smooth) so that the stone curls while it slides. So even if you have perfect aim, one small pebble that is not perfect can ruin the whole throw. Its no fun and you freeze your but off, plus if your a sweeper you run the risk of falling on your head.

OMG... using your criteria, that means the following are not sports:
Curling (which is an Olympic sport)
Bowling
Golf
Frisbee
Ultimate Frisbee
Billards (this is recognized by the OIC)
Sailing (an olympic sport)
Orienteering (recongized by OIC)
Shooting and Archery (Both olympic sports)

This is rocking my world!!!!!

:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom