the little purple pill ....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jayde-101

Stalwart
Reaction score
the little purple pill known as epilim seems to be working :) ... Dr increasinv it again tomorrow but in stead of having daily t/cs i have gone from the 18th to today without a t/c ....had one today but it didnt bother me much ... My partials are still creeping in but they said once the epilim is increased it should fade away im only on starting dose 200mg twice a day and already noticing improvement :)

Not even in therapeutic range yet !!

Then again they having to tweek my doseing as im quite short(4'8") and dont weigh much (about 98pounds) ...

Whats peoples view on epilim ???

Hi jayde,
It's great to hear the Epilim is working so far for you.My situation with Epilim is slightly different.I was on Tegratol but taken off it as i was still having a few tonics and the neuro and docs thought Epilim would be a better choice off drug.
But it was the opposite,even at 2000mg a day,my seizures were worse than ever.Also they thought it would be better for my absence seizures and the answer to that is i don't really know.

I convinced them to put me back on Tegratol but they wanted to leave the Epilim as it was.But i was drinking a lot in those days so perhaps if i wasn't doing that then the Epilim would have stood more of a chance.So now im on 2000mg of Epilim plus 800mg off Tegratol a day,don't drink and my seizure control is good,went over three years not so long ago,but had a seizure,tonic this year,but im happy with that.

Only real thing i can say about Epilim is certainly weight gain,im a couple stone over weight.Also im sure its playing havoc with my memory but it has been ten years now.I was 26 when i went on it and am 36 now.I was on Epanutin for 10 years before that.Sometimes it's a real struggle to get out off bed and ill have an afternoon snooze quite often,the tiredness can be a bit off a downer.But as they say different strokes for
different folks.

To be honest its hard to remember any change in feelings apart from weight gain from when i first went on it,since it was so long ago.
Anyhow im glad that it seems to be working for you and long may that continue.
All the best,Neil.

Neil - strange you mention about the tiredness Ive been having snoozes at all hours lol i feel like i Dont want to get out of bed to ... I thought it was just cause Ive come out of hospital etc ...
I hope i Dont get this weight gain every one tells me about as i strange with mine anyway with my thyroid ... I know i Dont weight much but i Dont want weight fluctuations

Yes Jayde,it's also hard to tell when your on two drugs at once.But im pretty sure it's the Epilim that causes the tirerdness,i looked it up the other day,just side effects and everyone on another site mentioned tierdness.
As far as weight,i was told when i started it that i might put on some weight around my chest area and that does seem to be the case.But my neuro says im on the maximum dose,so i wouldn't worry to much at this stage.Also my weight has reached as i said in the above post and has remained constant for years.

Do you know how far up they intend on raising your Epilim levels to?

I Dont know Im discussing it all tomorrow they said they are going to do it slowly as of my other medical problems ...

Its all new to me all this ccause Ive been labled psychogenic/pseudo seizures for months and months its talking ALOT to get this far

I think my recent hospital admission opened there eyes ... You Cant "fake" / "put on". / " make up needing a breathing tube and stuff :( ... The last two weeks have been hell but i feel i have progressed Ive let my mum take over and it has helped so she now deals with the drs with me ... Even thou i am 23 ha ha!!! ....they always say "mum's know best"

LOL,Mum knows best!!! Yes.yes they do! Im sorry about the last two weeks,but at least your starting to get some where and if the Epilim works it's one less thing to worry about eh! At least your progressing and thats the main thing.

And as far as mothers,im 36 and she still has to remind me to order my tablets!!! So don,t worry there!!! :roflmao: Mothers,couldnt do without em!

Best of luck for tomorrow then Jayde,and if you have have any questions tomorrow,fire away.

Neil.

Hi Jayde I haven't been on CWE for a while due to my miserable state, but I thought I'd reply to your Epilim blog. I hope you are getting on better than you were the other day when we text each other mate, you must feel pretty crappy losing your driving license, but just imagine having a wobbler while you were driving, that's the way I think of it when I get a bit down about losing mine. Are you back at work, I think you said you go back tomorrow? I've got that Northampton Epilepsy Meeting over in Northampton on Tuesday, it would have been great if you could have come and met the guys, there are a few that go who are about your age, and deal with their wobblers really well, especially Jo, the girl with two young daughters, she has tonic clonics every day of her life, and I am in awe of her and how she deals with her girls and the seizures! I'll text you in the week or Facebook you, I just wanted to say hi on here. Keep smiling Buddie, and most importantly of all with a condition like epilepsy, keep talking about it, to other people with it, and educating those that don't. My book is coming on well mate, 82,000 words typed up now! XX

Back
Top Bottom