A loooooooong wait for the monitoring unit

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
Just a little note of frustration...
There is a long wait to get into the epilepsy monitoring unit at the "big city" hospital that I go to.
Drum roll please...10-12 months.
I can put myself on a cancellation list when things pop up suddenly if I can be ready in under 24hrs so I'll put my name on that list but WOW things move slowly.
But I knew that already.
C'est la vie.
I am still thankful to be placed into this unit at any rate.

I've been fighting this fight for almost five years now. What's one more year?
And that is said with hope and optimism, not bitterness and defeat.

I hope things go smoothly for you, til you can get in. It took me 4 months to get into mine. But that was almost two years ago when I had scheduled mine. Hang in there. I know its hard, but where all here for you!

With that long of a wait, you'd think they'd consider opening up a second epilepsy monitoring unit -- clearly there's a need.

Thanks for the supportive message Kristin! I'll get through it! I was just a little surprised at the length of the wait. I've gotten into the groove of my seizures. As long as they don't progress into tonic-clonics it should be alright - although I shouldn't tempt fate!

Nakamova: You're right, there clearly is a need for another epilepsy monitoring unit. At least more than a five bed unit. Canada's health system is a little overburdened but I suppose every country can say the same! I do find it amusing that the hospital I'm going to is in the capital city of my province (Ontario) and is actually the largest city in my country! But I'll stick to my epileptologist all the same even if it could get done more quickly elsewhere.

Hopefully a cancelation will come in! That would be great so you won't have to wait so long! I agree though, they should consider putting more units in for VEEG monitoring. I dont know exacly how many there were at UNMC where i had mine, but it looked to be around 15 or so? Maybe more? I just remember getting off the elevator and going to the left down the end of the hall.

Lj I have done it 3times in arizona st. joes hospital the first time was when it was still newer and had 8rooms last 2times new facility 20 rooms and about 6wk wait for me.but you guys will catch up.best of luck know its awhile away but always hope for cancel

EEG monitoring

interesting fact, i am also in a big city, My doc seems to think theres an urgency for me to have a video eeg. she has asked me several times if i have gotten any letters yet of my impending test....I figured it was quicker than 4mos or a year, wow.......:noevil:

Ooooh it may be a long wait. but getting onto the list is progress, a step in the right direction, taking you closer to the answers you need.
Fingers crossed you manage to get in sooner!

Hopefully it won't have to be that long! In the mean time, stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom