losing teeth and hair from depakote/ativan?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

I been taking a pretty large dose of ativan/depakote regularly for a few weeks/month now and this morning, I lost a tooth which had rotted out and my wife commented I was losing hair on the back of my head... is this regular?

Oh also, anyone taking depakote... when I take it, all day I get this nasty, 'oranges' nasty kinda heartburn from it... anyone know what I'm talking about?

My Son takes valproic....

Hair loss can be side effect of this one....though no sign of that for my Son.

Stomach troubles, are you taking the med with food, as this helps.

What dosage are you on?

Hair loss is a known side effect of Depakote, as is heartburn. The rotten tooth might be from something else -- that's a slower process, one that may have started long before you went on the Depakote and Ativan. Depakote can cause dry mouth, which can lead to gum & tooth problems down the road, so it's worth getting checked out by a dentist fairly regularly.

Back
Top Bottom