lower dose of meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aboizd1

Pillar
Reaction score
i just lowered my meds from 150 to 125 and its only the second day of this new dose. i havent eaten much today nor drank much and its the start of school- but i just don't feel- too hot ?

I'm thinking it's a 50/50 chance of my not feeling well being caused by a) the lowered dose and b) me not eating and being worn out

Has anyone had any negative effects of lowering their meds? I lowered the dose with my doctors advisable when he heard I was getting leg cramps and shallow breathing.

thnx

I would

say that it's a combination of both. Your body is going through a process of withdrawal from the higher dose of meds for one thing. On the other hand, you MUST maintain good nutrition, and that includes not only food, but drink, too.

I have lowered my medication several times especially when I felt I was doing better without as many seizures. Bad idea. I told my doctor I did it but it was only after a bad CP. She told me never to do it again and well... I did, thinking that I could be safe with just 200mg less of Tegretol XR.. Well had another bad seizure and psyched myself into believing that I didnt need so many meds. It took a few bad seizures and a few ER trips to realize that I don't need to touch my meds and adjust them on my own.
My neurologist got mad and told me that I'm making it worse on myself and that I could go into a Grand-mal seizure at anytime. It scared my so bad that I have not messed with meds again.

She also reminded me that I'm on the meds I am on, because lowered doses or other meds were not working. I would not be taking what I'm supposed to be taking if anything else worked.

Anyways- lesson learned the hard way.

Tell your doctor if things are not tolerable on your meds, maybe they can be adjusted just so- where you can get benefit without such side-effects.

Take care,
Crystal

I don't feel well when I don't eat much and don't get enough sleep. When lowering your meds, I think it is suggested that you make darn sure you are treating your body the very best possible. Seems like you are setting yourself up for a bad reaction. These drugs are very strong. People get extreme headaches when they don't drink their caffeine, so surely taking away a chemical is going to have an effect.

Now go eat...

Back
Top Bottom