lowering keppra dosage

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

angel

New
Reaction score
I started lowering my dosage of keppra just 250mg also stoped taking extra vits and mag ...
maybe my kidneys bladder where having to work to hard & needed a break... who knows im still taking septra .... and 500mg keppra morning & klonopin

two days ago and I've not had as much pain in my bladder and kidneys.... more energy and havent been sleeping all day....

I'm going to up it back again right before my menstrual cycle..... and am going to be calling my neuro and letting him know whats going on......

maybe its IS the keppra i wonder if when you have renal impairment (vur) if they have test to tell?

I feel normal and the pain and pressure in my bladder is almost gone..... ( I havent passed a stone but it was starting like i was going too... at least that was what it felt like kinda)

anyone know of any e meds for seizures sps cpc that might not effect bladder and kidney function? if even there are any?......
I know the urologest said pretty much hes not ever heard of it but still its my body and ive had vur all my life i can really tell a difference when it happens.......

i like to trust the doctors though my neuro was about to take me off and put me on teg......

im not sure what to do at this point or who i should listen to........ my kidneys working is really important to me and before i started e meds i would very rairly have an infection uti maybe one a year .... now im on these stupid meds every day..... hell im even afraid to take bath have sex with hubby might get an infection.... very annoying to me NOT knowing what the real cause is.....

at least im starting to feel better the problem though is 1000mg keppra helps my seizures 1,250 mg helps them around my ms.....

any advice?
love angel

Zonegran <--- not recommended if you're allergic
to sulfa

Gabitril <--- Brand New, just now available
in the United States

That's all I could think of ~ but consult
with your Neurologist.

NOTE: I am not a Medical Doctor and this is
not a medical advice or recommendation. Any
medical recommendations should be consulted
by a Neurologist or Epileptologist.

Brain,

Thank you for the info:)
I called my neuros office left a message about lowering my meds to 750mg a day told them everything i could in the message... and asked what they think we should do next if anything maybe just lower keppra intil infections are gone..... we will see what they have to say.....

im going to check out the meds above ...

thanks again,
angel

Hang in there Angel, you will find answers soon.
It is hard to know who to listen too, but I bet you will instinctively know what the right route to take is, when you see your options.

Don't compromise the nutritional side of it. At least you will be giving your body what it needs during the challenging times.

Hugs

The only time I have had problems with my bladder (UTI) was on Keppra.
I think you may be fine on any other AED.

Ive talked to my neuro & urologist they want me to go back up on my keppra which i did tonight...blah.... anyways the urologist office told me that if my kidneys bladder starts feeling swollen painful burning again that they have some test that can tell if its my meds causing the problem or not...... Im not sure what the test are but im guessing some kind of lab testing.... hopefully since im still on septra it doesnt happen again

spellings bad today heh, ive had a fuzzy head all day...

Elisa,

I believe you about the infections the thing is the keppra stops my seizures so well that its hard for me to want to quit it..... I actually hate all meds.... with a passion.... sometimes i just want to throw them all in the trash!! sometimes i feel i really dont need to even be taking them(when im feeling better i sometimes am like, im cured )...... no more meds :paperbag: just the thought of switching meds after going through the adjustment with keppra makes me cringe.... I am not sure if i can go through the first few weeks getting use to these aeds again nor anymore reactions..... so i feel i must try to at least pull myself up take the dam meds and just go with the flow taking baby steps....

love
angel

Back
Top Bottom