Lying for your driver's license? Do it?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
I figure, I pretty much just have to lie. This year, I've been having a TC every month... so I need to drive to work, I work 45 minutes away, no public transit near me... I've got no options and my license is up for renewal in a month. They ask if you have epilepsy or have had seizures under oath.

I figure I'll just lie because it's not like they can possibly do a background check to see if you've been admitted for a seizure for every person in OH - my quesiton is this? Is there any reason I should consider telling the truth and letting them yank my license?

i had to give my licence up last year aswell. i only had four months before i was going to get it back, then i had another seizure. i now have about ten months to wait and its so annoying because i miss driving soo much. but the most annoying thing is having to rely on public transport which is going to be hard for me soon as they are cutting my bus service down to just FOUR EACH DAY!!! how stupid is that

Tell the truth! It's sooooooo dangerous to you and other people to be driving when you're having at least one TC per month! You could have one while you're driving and hurt or kill yourself or others!

Last edited:
Hi Andrew... Of course it is your decision, but from another post today you had a seizure just yesterday. You need to tell the truth for the safety of all. I understand how difficult it can be. I used public transportation for over year and then moved to be closer to my work. Another time after someone at my new job heard I was taking a taxi ( was going to break me) she picked me up for over six months. Honesty is always best. Maybe you could move closer to your job, say within walking distance. I believe in some states if you have a seizure and you lied to keep you license, and then injured someone while having a seizure, you could potentially be charged with a crime.

Last edited:
- my quesiton is this? Is there any reason I should consider telling the truth and letting them yank my license?

There are plenty of reasons: other people! :ponder:

As Krista and MaryK stated, you could have a seizure while driving and kill or seriously injure someone. If you're having a TC every month, I'm surprised you're still driving. I went without driving for years and was having TC's monthly, also. When I finally got them under control and thought I was ok to drive after a year of NO seizures, I had a CP while driving and hit another car, although we weren't going fast. Thank god, no one was injured, but I didn't drive for a long time after that accident. And my license was yanked for another year and I paid a heavy fine.

Last edited:
Tell the truth! It's sooooooo dangerous to you and other people to be driving when you're having at least one TC per month! You could have one while you're driving and hurt or kill yourself or others!

I was going to write the same exact thing. Dont think about yourself, but the others out there. If you lied and got your license, was behind the wheel of a car and had a seizure, you could kill yourself, anyone in the car with you, or anyone else on the road, or near you. Those people are innocent and its not right to risk other people's lives for something that you want.

I know its hard, but its the right thing to do.

Oh my goodness! Please do not drive!!!!! I understand the inconvience really truly I do! My husband and I moved 2 blocks from where I worked so that I could walk to home from work in the afternoons. Is it feesible to moove for you closer to your workplace? Or to workout a better schedule to accomodate the transit schedule at work? Is it just a renew of the licesnse through the mail or is it with a drive test and everything? I know in Florida you have to go 6 months w/o having a seizure in order to drive and then you have to wear a med alert braclet while driving I don't think you have to notify the state that you have epilepsy the neuros here dont have to say a word.... at least mine has not he has just said not to as a precautionary becasue I have T/C's.

Tina

Oh my gosh yes please tell the truth. I just had to have this same conversation with my mother as I just got my learner's permit today. I understand the temptation to lie, but it's not worth it at all.

For one, if you lie, and then, heaven forbid, you get in an accident and someone gets injured or dies, THEN they'll do background checking, and you'll be liable for the person's injury or death and their lawyer will use it against you. You could get jail time because it's perjury.

Plus, as others have said, it's dangerous. Don't do dangerous stuff, 'cause we'd miss your posts if you were gone.

Is there anyone you could car pool with? If you offer them gas money then they might jump on it right away. This would help you out and them.

Andrew, I just want to mention that I have not driven in about 4 years...I have not had a seizure free period until now that has been 5 months without seizure until this month. So I have been just been renewing through the mail because I have that option but I do have another friend who has epilepsy and had brain surgury about 5 years ago she had a front temporal lobecomemy and has been seizure free ever they got all of the scar tissue in her left temporal lobe. She had to go through the whole process again becasue she willingly gave up her license about 20 years before when her kids were babies. But it was no problem to get her license back at lease in Florida once she passed the written and driving test.

Tina

Is there any reason I should consider telling the truth and letting them yank my license?

It's called vehicular manslaughter.

If you're having T.C.'s every month there is something wrong, either your meds have failed or the right tests aren't being done. Or both. I have read a few other posts of yours and must be honest (you asked), doesn't seem as if you're getting it.
Knowing your limitations, as well as the law, with epilepsy takes some acceptance and maturity, this isn't just 'something that happens.'
These laws are set in place for a reason, and until your seizures are under control you have NO RIGHT to share the road with other drivers. NONE.
Being honest with yourself that this is just the way it has to be for awhile is the only way to handle this condition; denial is lethal. To you and everyone else.

Only thing is, what else should she do. I know it's dangerous but some have no other choice. The disability system is a joke. You have to be practically a vegetable before they even consider your claim. Sorry this is being typed on my phone.

when I first had seizures I was told not to drive,but that I could work.I worked in a water plant and put chlorine tanks online, drove a hilo,cranes and worked on pumps. I would like to know what other medical conditions they will pull your license for ,I have not heard of any.everyone has to choose to do what they think is right for them.

when I first had seizures I was told not to drive,but that I could work.I worked in a water plant and put chlorine tanks online, drove a hilo,cranes and worked on pumps. I would like to know what other medical conditions they will pull your license for ,I have not heard of any.everyone has to choose to do what they think is right for them.
In the United States, it varies depending on what state you're from, however most will pull a license for:
Severe sleep apnea.
Epilepsy.
Narcolepsy.
Severe stoke patients.
Some heart conditions.
Severe diabetes which leads to blackouts.
Severe hypoglycemia which leads to seizures.
Certain forms of brain damage.
An array of mental disorders, such as Schizophrenia, which are uncontrolled.
Blindness.
Mental disabilities.
People undergoing or who have undergone certain cancer treatments.
Degenerative conditions of the brain in mid/later stages, such as Dementia.

And I disagree with your last statement. If everyone has to do what they feel is right for them, then my 84 year old Grandfather would still be driving, despite being blind in one eye, 80% blind in the other, and developing Alzheimer's. He's mad that he can't drive, for sure... but it's not his decision to make. When one drives, they take their lives and the lives of those around them into their own hands. If someone is judged too unhealthy to do that without the risk of killing other people, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive. And the laws seem to agree with that, as do the doctors treating the patients.

It's a downer, yes, but that is the way of things, and it's done to keep everyone safe, not to make one individual happy.

Fortunately there are laws - in the UK and Northern Ireland one can check out the DVLA web site.

I gave up my licence and I had only been driving 5 years - I miss driving so much but one sunny day in the future I hope to claim it back

:)

And I disagree with your last statement. If everyone has to do what they feel is right for them, then my 84 year old Grandfather would still be driving, despite being blind in one eye, 80% blind in the other, and developing Alzheimer's. He's mad that he can't drive, for sure... but it's not his decision to make. When one drives, they take their lives and the lives of those around them into their own hands. If someone is judged too unhealthy to do that without the risk of killing other people, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive. And the laws seem to agree with that, as do the doctors treating the patients.

It's a downer, yes, but that is the way of things, and it's done to keep everyone safe, not to make one individual happy.

Same here, but it is my 83 year old father who suffered a stroke 15 years ago and now has dementia and kidney failure. He has to have my mother or one of us kids (two other siblings) drive him to dialysis three days a week because of this. He's too dangerous to be on the road driving. But HE thinks he can do it. And we KNOW he CAN'T do it!!! And he isn't happy about it.

And like I stated in my last post, I went YEARS without driving. My ex was a pilot and I had NO family around and raised two kids, so had to ask neighbors and friends for rides everywhere. Not a lot of fun. :(

In response to the can of worms that I have opened up, I was responding to the first post. And whether this person should or should not lie. People that obviouly can't drive due to a medical condtion, thst everyone would agree should not drive is not the same has a person with epilepsy. Did you ever think that his job could also be a demanding job that doesn't work well with epilepsy as well. What would happen if this job could end up putting hundreds or thousands of others in danger. People have to make choices and they can be accountable for the choices they make. Look around you at the other vehicles on the road. How many drunks, dopeheads and just plain distracted drivers are out there? I feel that they are as much a danger to those around them as someone with certain forms of epilepsy.

Still there's laws and regulations that need to be a heeded to. Epilepsy can and will put people at risk.

Don't worry about the can of worms - discussion is good

:)

Back
Top Bottom