Lying for your driver's license? Do it?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I agree that if you're not safe to drive because of your seizures, then you shouldn't be on the road. But just to add some perspective from the Hopkins Study:
One of the major arguments in favor of restricting the licensing of epileptic drivers is the concern for public safety. However, the Johns Hopkins study showed that in a particular 2 year timeframe only .2% of fatal crashes occurred as a result of seizures. Alcohol related crash fatalities caused 156 times more driver deaths than seizure-related crashes and young drivers between the ages of 16 and 24 were 123 times more likely to die in a fatal crash caused by their inexperience than an epileptic driver was to die in a crash that resulted from a seizure.

Nakamova, That is unbelievable, but I'm sure it's true! All I can say is Wow.

Thanks for the clarity Nak, and so true. On the road we actually are a fairly low threat... but... it's the unpredictability of epilepsy that should be more the focus. I don't know how many times I've been having a great day, great week, no partials, feeling great, then BANG! It's fast it's severe and I'm hardly functioning for the day let alone driving around. We are a low risk but never knowing also makes us a high risk... there's another side to everything. If you know you shouldn't (medically and/or legally) be on the road, spend that time relaxing and knowing you're a good person. Doing it any other way is not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom