major surgery vs seizure control

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

irvkay312

New
Reaction score
I got over the hump of changing from brand to generic medicines, at least for now.

Now, I have to look at whether I am strong enough at 72, with simple and partial complex (under control), emphysema and depression from seizures during my life to undergo either the Whipple procedure or a Distal pancreatomy for my cancer.

How can or should these things be judged?

Irv,

What a hard decision. I'm so sorry you have cancer.

Have you talked much to your doctors about your concerns? Is it physical strength, emotional strength, or the potential of triggering seizures that concerns you the most? Or maybe all three?

Have you asked your oncologist what the possible benefits and consequences would be (and the oods of each) if you opted out of another procedure, or if you opted in? Same with your neurologist?

I'm thinking of you and sending warm thoughts your way.

I agree with Endless that you need to speak to your doctors and especially your neurologist.

Warm prayers to you. Surgery is tough. :rose:

I know I have to speak with my primary care doctor, epileptologist, and oncologist; but the final decision for yes or no will be mine.

As such, I feel I have to guard my seizure stability at this stage of life, because I've seen what it's done to the past.

Thank you, I have to balance my seizure control with the emotional, speculative, fear, lengthy hospitalization and rehabilitation.

Seizure stability vs surgery with possible upset of it.

I think from all my doctors consultations "it's up to me." So, do I want to chance losing the seizure stability and migraine headache control for a major operation that could disrupt those things and not really extend my life too much?

A very tough decision, and one I'm sorry you have to wrestle with. Have you discussed this with family members or friends? Is there a "best case scenario" where the surgery succeeds and you retain seizure control? Are there options for making the hospital stay and rehabilitation less distasteful? A possibility of recuperating at home with visiting healthcare workers?

One of my closest friends said to ask my Oncologist, Surgeon and their staff "what would afford me the best quality of life?"

My epileptologist unfortunately is neutral because he and primary care are doctors. I have no family except a some very close friends I've lived with for years.

Your close friends are your family then. Definitely use them as a sounding board.

When do you need to make a decision about this? Can you talk with other folks who have gone through the surgery?

Irv,

Have you gone through similar surgery in the past? If so, what was the result? Former results or outcomes gives a clue to what it'll be like the next time. The after-effects of surgery don't always have to be the same. The docs can adjust pain meds, etc.

Are your doctors willing to work together as a team to manage your after-care, to minimize pain, recovery time, seizures? It sounds like this would be a team effort.

When I have a tough decision to make I use some decision tools.

If there are reasons or fears why I don't want to say "yes" to something that would ultimately benefit me, I do a problem-prevention chart. I list all the reasons why I don't want to do it, then beside each thing I list what I can do to minimize it or prevent it from happening altogether. In the end my answer may still be "no," but I know it isn't based on blind fear. I've analyzed the situation, calculated the risks/returns, and then made a decision. I asked friends and family to help think up solutions.

I also use the best-worst-most likely tool.
- What's the BEST outcome you could expect?
- What's the WORST outcome you could expect?
- What's the MOST LIKELY outcome you could expect?

I also use a "Describe It" tool. Sit down with pen and paper and describe your life if you said yes. What does it feel like, sound like, smell like? What can you do and not do? What is the state of your body? What help would you need and what resources would you have? What would your life be like? Use as much detail as you can. Then switch it around and describe your life if you said, "No." Then look at the two descriptions and decide which life you want to lead. It's not always that cut and dried, but it helps clarify things for me.

An example for me is weighing the decision of whether to have a shunt implanted in my brain to drain CSF. Two of the major fears for me was a non-functioning or ineffective shunt that can't be removed (happens 50% of the time), and the surgery scrambling my brain. My doctor (PCP) helped me with #1. She said not all medical devices have the same track record for success, and that with some detective work I could get the info from the FDA. Then I could ask each potential surgeon what brand of shunt they use. She also helped with #2. She said that who the surgeon is makes a huge difference, and if she was having the surgery there is only one guy in town she'd let touch her. If I do it that'll be my doc. For now I've decided not to have the surgery, if it comes to that. There were more negative things I didn't write about here, many of which have no "fix." They just are what they are, and they aren't tolerable to me in the long term. There are still less invasive solutions to try first.

Anyway, we are all here to help. Friends are important sounding boards, and so are your docs. When it comes to thinking up potential "fixes" for potential problems, we might be able to help, too. The strength of all of us are supporting you.

We can do that here.

Back
Top Bottom