Master Cleanse

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Have any of you ever tried a Master Cleanse before?

I am on Day 6 though haven't been grossed out yet. I am waiting for my tongue to begin to look healthy again. Going for 14 days. Even postponing Mother's Day to finish this off.

How many days did you complete?

I did the 2 weeks. I used Acai berry and Life Cleanse. lost 7 pounds on it too.

I have lost 5, but not doing it for that purpose. Yeast has been an issue for me, and this is showing signs that I was correct.
I mix 2 T of fresh lemon juice
2 T of Grade B Maple Syrup
1/10 cayanne pepper
8 oz of water.
The juice is tasty.

Robin, are your lips blistering? My friend did this and had to quit because of her lips.

5 or 6 years ago I tried a cleanse that cleansed each organ at a time. I was fine for 3 days then my seizures got very severe & frequent (compared to my norm)

Now I'm very reluctant to do them again as it was rather trying.

My wife wants to start a Master Cleanse. I have been seizure for a few years. I was wondering if I could get some input on this. I am on Keppra and Dilantin. I am rather chunky so it probably is a good thing to do but I wonder what it will do to the brain?

We want to start it tomorrow so if anyone could give any info that would be grand. I am a little scared.

Thank you.

You should be careful if you are at all sensitive to nutritional shifts or low blood sugar, or variations in the blood levels of your meds. The cleanse *may* affect these aspects of your metabolism, so it's worth being cautious if you think such changes will trigger seizures. As Eric says above, after 3 days of the cleanse his seizures became significantly worse. If you decide to go ahead with the cleanse, definitely check with your doctor beforehand. And consider that in general, *gradual* dietary shifts of any sort are much easier for the brain and body to adjust to.

Yes.. I will add, I do not have seizures.

I am however, prone to headaches, and this does tend to give you a headache in the first few days, as you release toxins.

@Jackson - I would suggest a more nutritional approach if you are looking at ways to lose weight.

@CathyAnn - I had no problems with my lips blistering. In fact, I had no negative side effects other than a headache for one day. My body responded quite well, and I did it again about 6 months later, and stayed on it for 7 days.

Listen to your own body. My suggestion, is to make important nutritional changes first. If you continue bad habits, a cleanse is the least of your worries.

Recently in the news

The reports found little evidence of benefits from any of the products. But the studies did note a number of possible side effects following the use of colon cleansing products, including cramping, bloating, nausea, vomiting. Some also experienced electrolyte imbalance and kidney failure.
There can be serious consequences for those who engage in colon cleansing whether they have the procedure done at a spa or perform it at home," Mishori said in a Georgetown University Medical Center news release.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20110802/colon-cleansing-warning-110802/

And on the medical site:
MONDAY, Aug. 1 (HealthDay News) -- Despite the popularity of colon cleansing, there's no evidence that the procedure -- which can be done at home or in day spas -- offers any health benefits, a new study finds.

However, colon cleansing can cause serious side effects ranging from vomiting to kidney failure and death, the authors of the report say.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_114876.html

Last edited:
My neuro gave me a big fat no to anything like that so I haven't tried it.

Back
Top Bottom