Is it med side effects?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Music36

Stalwart
Reaction score
Occasionally, I'll experience numbness all over my body, tingling, and crawling sensation. I was wondering if it is simply my meds that cause this. I take Tegretol and Keppra. I experienced this yesterday along with fatigue and dizziness.

Yeah, I know about the fatigue and dizziness being typical side effects. I've just been wondering lately about the numbness and tingling. I always assumed the numbness and tingling was caused by my meds, but lately I've been thinking what if it's not. I know these can be symptoms of other neurological disorders (e.g., multiple sclerosis). I may just be over thinking it.

The meds are the most likely culprit, but if you're worried you can always check with your neuro to put your mind at ease.

I've been on these drugs for many years and Lamictal used to be part of my "cocktail", as well. Once in a while, I'll get drugged out like I'm stoned. That's what happened yesterday. Years ago when I was on a higher dosage of Tegretol and took Lamictal, I would wake up every morning with my face feeling totally numb.

I have had sometimes had this happen when I take certain medications on an empty stomach, even though instructions might say a medication is allowed to be taken on an empty stomach.

Dehydration and/or low blood sugar is a common cause of dizziness, fatigue and parasthesia. These can occur after several hours of sleep (i.e.. no food/beverage) or due to inadequate caloric intake during the day. You can test this "theory" by seeing if you feel better after eating a small meal consisting of fluids, carbs and protein (such as a piece of toast and peanut butter, with apple juice) at the same time you take the meds.

masterjen,

I always eat before taking my meds. I also don't let myself go too long without eating when I get hungry b/c the meds are always in our bodies. I learned many years ago that I can get very sick from my meds if I don't have enough food in me. I also drink a lot of water.

That sounds like side affects to medication to me. I do know if bottles say "take with food" do as it says. I made the mistake and it messed me up

Lonewolf,

The point is I do eat and I get drugged out. But, I only get drugged out occasionally. Sometimes, I'll get drugged out right after I eat and it could be hours later after I took my meds. In other words, I take my meds with breakfast and then I can get drugged out after eating lunch. It's crazy.

Lonewolf,

The point is I do eat and I get drugged out. But, I only get drugged out occasionally. Sometimes, I'll get drugged out right after I eat and it could be hours later after I took my meds. In other words, I take my meds with breakfast and then I can get drugged out after eating lunch. It's crazy.

Music36,
I have to do that with one of my pills is eat and I hate it. What about in the evenings? Do you get really tired? I do I'll end up falling asleep then look like I've been tossed on a couch I'm so asleep from it.

Last edited:
Lonewolf,

Sometimes I'll get real sleepy and fall asleep in the evening for a little while. But, I have to get up b/c I take meds late at night. I'm one of those people who can't eat in the morning, so I take my meds around noon which means I have to wait to late at night to take my evening dose. I try to make it as close to 12 hours as I can between doses otherwise I can get drugged out. So, of course I have to eat a midnight snack. I can't take my meds on an empty stomach.

Lonewolf,

Sometimes I'll get real sleepy and fall asleep in the evening for a little while. But, I have to get up b/c I take meds late at night. I'm one of those people who can't eat in the morning, so I take my meds around noon which means I have to wait to late at night to take my evening dose. I try to make it as close to 12 hours as I can between doses otherwise I can get drugged out. So, of course I have to eat a midnight snack. I can't take my meds on an empty stomach.

Is there no way you could gradually get pills down times more appropriate bc going bed late every night not going to help e.

I get cold feet and numbness in a couple of toes I never thought of the Meds doing that,also get very cold hip.I put water bottles on it but makes no difference

Seagull,

I usually get a decent amount of sleep and I just have occasional auras since my surgery two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom