Med switches and seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm on three meds right now as I make a med switch. On my med transition schedule, I was supposed to increase Lamictal yesterday morning, and cut Tegretol in half last night. This morning, I didn't actually have a seizure but had more of the 'seizure-like feelings' I often have before I break into simple partial series. Is it typical to have more seizures when you are doing changes? I've had great success since adding Lamictal so far and wondering if reducing Tegretol is a bad thing, or if I'm just adjusting to the reduction. Thoughts appreciated!!

In my experience there are a ton of things, recognized and unrecognized, that can change your seizure patterns. I don't know this for a fact, but it seems logical that transitioning from one med to another could change your seizure threshold, at least for a while. Why are you doing the med changes?

Sudden increase in seizures on former low dose of Tegretol (400 mg), and rather than increase a dose of an old style med, my neuro added Topamax, but I wasn't tolerating increases well so he added Lamictal. I've done super well on Lamictal so far, no seizures for 3 weeks (yeah yeah, not that long but pretty long for me to go completely free of all activity). I take Lamictal and Topamax extended release in the am, and Tegretol in the pm--I think what happened was, cutting Tegretol down to 200 mgs means my coverage in the am is really low until the extended release meds build up. I only felt that way until about 9:00 am, a couple of hours after I took my morning meds. Maybe I will talk to my doc about splitting up the timing of my two go-forward meds. Thanks for your response Arnie.

Last edited:
It took a few years after I was first diagnosed to figure out the right 'recipe' (what I like to call it) of meds that worked for me.

I was put on some meds that didn't work and some caused more seizures so they had to take me off of them. Some I couldn't handle the side effects and had to go off of them. They had to figure out what medicine/medicines would work and figure out what the right dosage of the different combinations of meds.

I had to be on the medicine for a few months to see if it was going to do me any good.

I got a VNS because medicine alone wasn't really doing much. Even with the VNS I'm still taking medicine. I had to go through the whole process with the medicine again to find the 'recipe' that was going to work. I know this also took a good while to figure out too.

It's a really frustrating thing to go through!

I'm loving Lamictal, it's really picked up my mood, which was seriously in a nose dive for a while. But I'm not at a therapeutic level of any of the meds I'm on I learned yesterday after bloodwork, and won't be for a couple of weeks til I can go up in Lamictal again. Looks like I haven't been on a therapeutic dose of anything--for many, many months. No wonder I've been having problems.

Back
Top Bottom