Medicaid debacle

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
My current job doesn't offer health insurance, so since I'm considered "disabled" I'm trying to apply for medicaid. I just spoke to the case worker assigned to me, and she said that my neurologist needs to fill out disability paperwork.

The first problem is that my current neurologist is out of state, and apparently I need to see a doctor in my state in order to be approved. This brings me to the next problem... All of the neurologists I've called will only accept patients who have health insurance.

Am I pretty much SOL?

One feeble suggestion is to call your current state's insurance commissioner and explain the situation you are in -- that office may have ideas about it. Maybe you should call your old doctor's office and see what that office has to offer by way of advice. And while you are figuring it all out, stay cool! I would also talk to the medicaid office but NOT a repeat conversation with your case worker...see what someone else in the office has to say. It might give you a different slant.

Matthew, after posting this I spoke to the admin supervisor. She said I'd have to fork over $650 upfront in order to get in the door.

Bidwell, I think right now my main concern is the prescriptions. Luckily, GSK has approved me for free medication. I have to check and see if the Depakote manufacturer does the same thing. The case worker that was assigned to me is brand new, so she wasn't much help lol.

Thanks for the replies!

I lived in N VA. I went to Pavel Klein in Bethesda, I think for less than $100. I think I paid a little more for a guy at DuPont circle, and at Georgetown U. In Alexandria, I think off Beauregard near NOVA (7 and 395), there was a very inexpensive Arab woman neurologist. The in-state neurologist thing is silly. I really would contact your congressman or senator. They have a form for exactly this sort of thing on their website. If it can be a regular Dr. I recommend seeing Dr. David Ho on South Washington in Old Town Alexandria (you can walk from King St. Metro). You can see him for like $75, and he will certainly be helpful in getting you a referral to a neurologist th reasonsble rates. He's willing to look into things.

FWIW, I have always been able to use any medical records to prove my condition including social security and the department of rehab in N VA.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Health Dept? In one of the counties that I lived in they were very helpful in getting medication. Just a suggestion.
Good Luck!
M

Back
Top Bottom