medical records

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elsie

Stalwart
Reaction score
Today I went & picked up my med. records from the past 31 years. I need to take them to new dr's. office (old one retired). It was interesting to read all that and see his take on the whole thing.

Apparently my 1st husband used to call him and tell him things that weren't very accurate. He told the dr. not to tell me he was calling because I would get upset. Ah, yeah, he was a bit crazy and blamed everything on me... A bit unnerving to read that bit.

One EEG in all that time, determined normal.

I was diagnosed in 2003 with a heart arrhythmia (local dr. in my town) and his take on that was "questionable". I remember him taking my pulse and it being normal so that was why he doubted. I tried to tell him it comes and goes and he wouldn't find anything at the moment. A little upsetting to know he didn't believe me.

I go to new doctor in 2 weeks. I think I need a few minutes for rebuttal of old records! Maybe I'll type up my own sheet and hand that in also.

Anybody else ever been through anything similar?

No, but I do make it a habit to keep my own personal copy of all of Jon's medical records -- I have them all sorted out into clear color coded folders (am I OC or what?) -- blood tests go in folder with red strip, EEGs and MRIs and neuro notes in blue strip folder, etc. Most of Jon's doctors are with one hospital, so can even get consultation notes -- just go down to med records and fork over about $1 a page.

Part of the reason I do this is because we travel a lot (internationally), but also it seems like someone needs to be keeping tabs on the big picture. For instance, Jon's hematologist thinks his bone marrow disease was caused by Depakote, so I have that report to show to the neurologist whenever he suggests going back on Depakote.

You might want to have a good discussion with the new doc first before handing over the records. That may be enough to allow him to see your side -- if for no other reason than many docs are too pressed for time to read the old records...

Back
Top Bottom