Medication Question for the Active Folks

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So, looking for feedback from any runner/active types who might be able to relate! I completed a pretty long race today (18.12 miles - woohoo!) and did fairly well considering I wasn't planning on the distance (changed it from half marathon at 13.1 to the 18.12 option at the last minute) - not bragging, okay, maybe a little, lol, but anyways... I recently increased my Keppra and Lamictal - just last week actually. I had some dizziness while running when I had to bend over to tie my shoes, and was staggering a bit at the finish. I think it was more due to being tired from running further than I have since April and sprinting in the finish, but when I came through the finish, they had me go to the medical tent to sit down. I turned out to be fine. I have also noticed when doing certain activities like push ups, it seems harder for me to do them than it did previously - like I feel weaker.

I guess my question is, how have your medications affected your activity levels? Have you found they make it harder for you to push yourself? Have you found yourself getting more dehydrated? Also, have they caused a lower blood pressure for you? I've always had issues getting dizzy anyways if I sit up too fast because I have pretty low blood pressure, and that's how I felt today. Of course, I might have just been tired. As much as I like to think that I don't get tired, I certainly do :)

my meds raise my blood pressure a fair amount, and act as a blood thinner,
on carbamazapine and topamax.

Interesting, I guess that actually makes more sense. My blood pressure was like 96/65 last time I was at the doctor (last week). I could use for mine to go up a little...

Back
Top Bottom