medication and time change

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son takes 1000 mg of Keppra XR. His neurologist stressed the importance of taking it the SAME time every day. He takes his at 10:00 pm. With the upcoming change in time, is it better to adjust the medicine in time increments or just give it to him at 9:00 pm? We asked the neurologist this question, but he would never give us a straight answer. Thanks.

go for 9pm,

for some people, consistency is king.

unles there was a reason you were giving it to him at ten, like it was tied into a sleep time or something.
there was a reason you couldn't get a straight answer, he didnt want to be responsible, in case he was wrong.

Last edited:
People have different sensitivities and metabolisms when it comes to the meds. I can vary the times I take my meds by as much as a few hours either way. But as C0urt says, some folks have less of a safety margin. The neurologist didn't give a straight answer because he doesn't have one -- he can't definitively predict which category your son falls into.

Because Keppra in particular has a shorter half-life than other meds, the safest approach to have your son take his med at 9:00pm when the time changes, to minimize any risk of his med levels dipping too low.

Interesting topic here. I know I am so off key in remembering to take my medication at a specific time twice a day. Memory (not sure what parts of memory) for me is certainly with taking medication as I don't remember to take my medication until I am in the bathroom where I leave it sit in a very open place. I have been told several times I need to figure out a way to key a specific time to take my drugs. When my major (again) seizure problem started a few months back, I think I may not be able to get back in key because of medication taking time... Friday I get to see my neurologist so i will hopefully know more then... with luck timing of medication will not be a major issue and he will know what I really need to do... I hope.

My hopes are with you that you will get the best step forward to take care of your son's problem.

I think this time change needs to be done away with.

More accidents and deaths occur when they change the time. It's just not natural in my opinion.

For us that take medication on a timely basis it, can really screws us up. The beginning of this year when they moved the time forward, 2 days later i had a seizure. It took like 1.5 weeks for me to a just to the moving of the clock.

Rather than moving the time back 1 hr, they should move it back 1/2 hr and leave it alone.

I'm thinking of changing my work schedule to start as if the time did not change.

Write your senators and congressman to change this horrible thing.
Arizona and Hawaii have done away with this stup** time change thing, so should the rest of the states.

Zolt

Zolt, I am very lucky here in Saskatchewan Canada where we do not change time every six months. Coming from the states and living with the time change, it sure was a step up... now after 10 years I can't even imagine changing time.

Now I just have to figure out how to set my timing in the taking of daily medication.

I take my meds 3 times a day and I've always taken them at the same time reguardless of the time change - 7am, 1pm and 7pm. I've never had any problems doing it this way.

Back
Top Bottom