Medications - is it safer to skip a dose or take a dose?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pingu

Stalwart
Reaction score
I know that this will be different to all people but tonight I had a moment where I couldn't remember if I had taken my medication or not. I went to my medication case as I swore I couldn't remember taking a dose of medication and saw that tonights pm dosage was missing but the monday dose was there which is insanely unusual as tonight is my medication case refill night. I don't remember taking the medication so it's got me thinking, would it be safer to not take a dose or to potentially double up on my dose just so I know I have taken it?

I am on a very high dose of Tegratol - 800mg and on 1000mg of Keppra. I chose not to risk doubling up so didn't get the meds out to take a dose. Right decision or wrong one?

If it ever happens that you are not sure or have forgotten you should never take a second go of medication, just continue as normal. The reason for this is it can be dangerous doubling up on medication. At lest that is what I have been told.

In my opinion you made the right decision.

I would agree, don't take the chance on OD'ing. I'd say it's better to take the chance on having a seizure than OD'ing. I'm actually going to ask my neurologist a similar question on Wed. If you realize you forgot your morning meds, how much later can you take it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do not take it later just carry on as normal.

:agree:
And if possible get in touch with your neuro to let them know.

Don't ever double dose. I asked my neurologist what to do if you're late, & the next dose's time is coming up. He said it is generally safe to take a dose as long as there are 3-4 hours before your next dose's scheduled time.

Only time I take my meds if Im late maybe an hour or so.

Usually I have my meds with my meals eg breakfast & dinner but there have been a few times when Ive thought Ive taken my meds but gone to my pillbox the next day to see the medicine is still there.

The other thing I had issue with was getting my Am & Pm meds mixed up eg take my Am meds at night & Pm meds in morning. This was happening back mid last year, at the time it didnt affect my epilepsy as my epilepsy meds were the same & the only difference was I took a med for cholestoral at night.

My pill box i use is one long one for each day with AM on one side & PM on other but you can either have the AM & PM boxes join or be seperated. When I was messing my doseages I messaged my epilepsy nurse to ask her for tips on how to stop messing my meds & told her how with my pillboxes you can either connect them or seperate them.
She told me best thing to do is put them in different spots of the house eg the AM one in the kitchen where I get my breakfast & the PM one on my dresser.
I kept my AM meds in the kitchen near where I keep my meds before I refill. As I usually eat my dinner in the loungeroom I put my PM pill on my coffee table next to my sofa.

I havent had a problem with messing AM/PM meds since which is great because I saw my neuro in September and he increased the night dosage of my zonegran.

Back
Top Bottom