Medications and theyre side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jayrpt

New
Reaction score
I am not familiar with many of the medications associated with Epilepsy and I'm interested if others suffer the same side effects that I do. I have been on 350 mg's of Dilantin daily for 3 years but... I recently had a grand mal because I hadnt been fully compliant with my medication and my therapetic blood range was very very low. My medication has been increased to 450 mg's and I have noticed that I am experiencing many of the side effects. They include...

- feeling overly tired
- increased hair growth (my back and shoulders included)
- eye twiching
- swelling of my gums
- memory problems

I have an appointment to see a neurologist in a few weeks and I am considering experimenting with another epilepsy medication. Most of these side effects I can deal with but I don't want to have to deal with them if there is another option.

Hi: All the meds have side effects and adjustments. What you want is the med that will
have the least adjustments for you . That you need to discuss with your Dr. I don't know your Dr and if he will be willing to discuss alternative treatments????

Wishing you a sz free life and a quality life
Riva

My daughter is on her fourth med, and they all had side effects that were not tolerated. We are slowly increasing this one. In fact I am trying to decide if I will go slower than the neuro wants, due to the fact that there is something very important in Rebecca's life and I don't want her to be suffering from side effects. She has worked too hard, to have a med interrupt her chance.

My wife is currently taking Dilantin (alternating doses of 300 & 400mg/day). She has not complained of any of the symptoms you mentioned (at least specifically reated to the Dilantin - the memory problems are more related to seizure activity for her).

When her blood level goes toxic, she complains about non-stop tingling sensations in her fingers and toes. She may also be a bit more unbalanced/clumsy than usual.

450mg might be too much for you if you had good control when you were taking the 350mg diligently. A blood test will confirm if 450mg is too much.

Do you have a pill box or system in place to make sure you take every dose?

Meds

I am new to these kind of meds. I can only give you feedback on two of them. The first one I took was Lamictal.
Everything was fine for 2 1/2 weeks then I got the dreaded rash. Next she put me on Topamax. That didn't work at all. By Sunday, I had people telling me they thought I was hypoglycemic. Monday, I had to be taken home from work. This is my first day back. I couldn't think - at all, speech was slurred, etc. Just be careful. Changing meds is tricky.

Back
Top Bottom