Meds stop working over time?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

peachy

New
Reaction score
I don't get it...my doctor says that eventually every seizure medication will quit working over time. Is this true? And also that taking valium for seizure breakthrough would also quit working. I don't know how this is possible. I know people who have taken the same medication for 10, 20 + years and they are fine. I am just striving for 2 weeks without a seizure...but I am worried that something will work and that it will wear off. I wonder sometimes if my doctor just wants to force me into having surgery by saying it is the only option when she knows I don't want to do it (I don't know yet if I am a candidate).

It's true that people develop a tolerance for their seizure meds (see link below)...

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...medication-proving-ineffective-over-time-820/

... but not everyone does by any means. I know someone who has been on phenobarbitol all her life. She has seizure control and no real side effects. Her docs have been trying to get her to switch for years.

Valium (and other benzodiazepines) can be problematic for some people, which is probably why your doc is wary of it. As you've found, the occasional use can be very effective, but there can be side effects. Since benzodiazepines are central nervous system depressants they can slow down your thinking, judgment, motor skills, etc. Some people develop a tolerance or an addiction over time.

Notice I've said "some people" -- it may not end up being a problem for you. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor or trust her recommendations, then get a second opinion.

I was told the same thing too but if your seizures are controlled I wouldn't worry about changing anything.

I think it is also a way to say that at some time you might have to change your medication due to side effects.

Back
Top Bottom