Memory

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I feel like the worst part of all of this is that my memory is slowly getting worse. Long term and short term. I want to make a memory album/book of pictures and memories written down. I know who my family is and that I love them but I don't have any memories I can remember with them. My childhood, just everything, is gone. Someone told me that all of my memories are probably still in my mind and that I just can't retrieve them. Good thing, I told my dr. about it and they were able to move up some of my testing to Feb 15th :). Has anyone else had such a drastic loss of memory? I'm hoping that I haven't had any permanent damage but just that my brain temporarily can't retrieve a lot of memory.

I got epilepsy about 6 years out of nowere (I'm 33 now).

Pretty much, most everything was gone from my junior year of high school and up. There are a few things that I remember, espically one job that I worked at, but I really loved that job so I'm assuming that may be why.

My family and friends are always telling me aobut things that I've done in the past and we will look at pictures and they will have to tell me over and over again where we were and what we were doing at the time.

They built a whole new strip mall out where I live and I didn't even know it was there. I thought my dad was turning the wrong way when we were going to Wal-Mart when I first got out of the hospital.

Some of the things that my friends told me that I did, I can't believe that I did when we would go out (but then again, I'm not the kind of person that goes out at night and just drinks coffee).

My short term memory and long term are still bad too. It's gotten better though. When I first got out of the hospital I was lucky if I remembered that happened a few days to a week before. It has gotten better now,

I joke now that when the reruns come on in the summer it's like a whole new season of tv shows for me!

I try to keep a journal of things that I did so at least I have some sort of record. I take pictures when I can too.

I usually keep a good attitude about things. Some people don't understand this but it's something that I have to live with so it's not something that I want to get depressed about. Luckily my friends and family are very understanding about it and will take the time to tell me about things that I don't remember.

I hope things will get better for you.

You know, memory loss has been one of the worst parts of having this crap for me. I hate it when I have friends ask me, "Hey, remember when we were kids and we would go blah blah blah?" And the whole time I'm thinking, I have no clue what you're talking about. Are you sure that was me? I've had this junk for around 14 years and sometimes it's still embarrasing to have to tell someone in that situation why I don't recall these things.

Just read your profile, so I wanted to reply again and try to make you feel a little bit better. Since you're not on any meds right now, try not to worry too much. With testing and the proper diagnoses, after you get on your medicine for a while, you should start to see things return to normal. There are still things I don't remember, but I'm not traumatized over it. As far as I can tell, there's nothing major I seem to have forgoten. Everyone is different though. Just try to get treatment as soon as possible. You can't go wrong there. I too am beginning to think about alternate forms of treatment, but unless you already have one of those in mind, go with what your doctor advises.

Welcome everybody. More siezures will make you lose memory. Depakote is a good one for memory loss. I am on meds and my memory is comming back. I have had epilepsy for almost 35 years. You will do fine. My son has epilepsy. He has excellent memory for the most part.Repetive learning. Like learning an instrument or singing a song.Its great for epilepsy.

For me it was getting really bad. Not only was long-term memory going, I was starting to have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday, and even what I was talking about 5 minutes ago. Since I started on Keppra and have started having fewer seizures, it is getting much better.

-B

Thanks. I got my 24 hour testing done and I'm just waiting for the results. Some days things people will talk about can trigger memories and then I'll loose it by the next day... its just so strange. But exercise, naps, and playing the piano has really helped with some of my symptoms. I agree that not remembering stories other people tell about you can just be embarrassing sometimes.

My memory is slipping too. However, I found that when I was taking fish oil capsules, I actually got some of my memory back...just need to remember to take it. :)

I've had epilepsy 13 yrs now and my mum passed away 13 yrs ago some people say the stress of losing my mum brought about my epilepsy but my mine is i cant remember much about her anymore, i forget peoples names and i hate it when what you want to say is on the tip of your tongue but you completley forget everything, i've left cookers on doors unlocked my husband has to remind me to take my meds on a night and sometimes i just forget whole days i'm only 31yrs and cant remember half my life no medication can bring that back but photos are the best thing for my memories

Oh playing the piano is so good for memory. Repetitive learning.Over and over again. My violin. I miss it so much.A man that had a stroke told me that when you get mad at yourself it just makes it worse. Now when I came out of the coma my memory was so bad. So I took one of my sons toys and memorized all of the human bones. Haven't done it in a while. I should try it again. But there it is again. Repetitive learning.

:agree: with stilldancing_98. When I was in school & had to memorize where all the muscles started, ended, their nerves & functions I did have a hard time & it took me longer than some people but my memory improved in other areas.

stilldancing_98, if you want to try memorizing the muscles as well as the bones you might want to buy an anatomical colouring book. I hate colouring since I have trouble staying in the lines but it helped me remember things.

Something a classmate of mine did was buy a miniature medical skeleton & as we learned each muscle she would create that muscle out of fimo (modelling clay) & attach it to the skeleton.

Looked really cool by the time she was done.

Hey Becks, I have that to. My Dad died in 2000. I am always asking questions about him. But, I think pictures, people that knew her well. You can have them write what they remember most about her. Or video tape them. I have alot of stuff written about my Dad.And now I gave my Mom a journal to write things in.I hope maybe this helps a little. Teresa

i have

the same problem with memory.

But, I've always had problems with it, especially after the age of about 20....when my t/c's started to pick up.

I still don't remember parts of my childhood, or my children's for that matter, but can piece things together with the help of pictures.......but the process of piecing things together has taken years to be able to do.

Let your doctor help you, however they can. I have gotten some memories back that have been buried deep.........it is possible, but they have to find a new "wiring path" if you will, to get out again. Confusion always reigns because of the lost memories, and that's normal, too. All you can do is to be patient with yourself.

Take care!

Meetz
:rock:

I don't have issues with long term memory, but short term can be hell at times. I think this is more med related (my theory). I think epilepsy and seizures would be the cause of long term loss. Just my thoughts.

My memory

hasn't been that bad...if I have to recall something I can recall the event but not everything about it like everyone else can. My learning ability is really shot though. And I am in college so that is really bad. For some reason though I am really good with music (not singing anymore because I have a VNS) but memorizing lyrics and remembering what songs are which. I think its because I've been involved in music my whole life and I am a big believer in music therapy.

Memory is a mystery to me

I have a new diagnosis of epilepsy, so I'm definitely not an expert on this stuff. But it's sure comforting to see everyone is having some memory issues on here. Both my doctor and the official symptom websites say memory isn't usually a major issue, and it's usually temporary. That wasn't my experience.

I don't know what happened to me about 6 months ago, but my short term memory was blown out of my brain. I couldn't remember a list of 1 item for 30 seconds, and this lasted for months. Slowly, things have gotten better.

A website that has helped me a lot is cognifit dot com. There's a fee, but the site tests you to see what kind of help you need, develops a customized program, and it seemed to really work for me. It was fun, too. Not too expensive - less than $20 a month.

Back
Top Bottom