Memory loss, never happened before

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been noticing my short term memory has gotten really bad for the past week or so. There hasn't been any changes to my meds whatsoever either. I've been having a lot of auras, myclonic jerks (more than normal), and some staring spells but nothing out of the norm for me. No grand mals that I can think of either!

Should I be concerned? Only reason why I ask is because I've never dealt with this before. I've had more activity in the past than I have right now and my memory has been fine, so I'm a little worried about it.

Is this just a "growing pain" side effect that I may have to deal with?

I would find it concerning. Have you talked to your doctor about it? Memory is a pretty important thing. It can be a side effect of seizures.

I've had short term memory problems, but that is just how I am. Once something gets in there, it just stays.

If you haven't talked to your doc about this, do for sure, because it sounds like an increase in activity.

That would worry me too. I hate to say this because I know some drs like to push pills, but maybe you need an increase in dose? My dr mentioned that since I've gained 20 lbs that I might need to go up if I start noticing anything different in the way I feel.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

I can't add to what the others have said about confronting the issue right now, but I do have some advice for maintenance. Memory is such a subjective thing and once you start having problems, it's difficult to really know whether you're getting better or worse. That means that when you're treated, you can't really tell how well you're responding. I've been using Cambridge's cognitive and memory tests for a year now. They let you register, which means you can save your test results for future comparison. What I like about them is that they test so many different parts of cognition in different tests, which is useful information for your neurologist. I'd advise you to check it out now, and that way you can keep an eye on yourself. http://www.cambridgebrainsciences.com/

I haven't talked to my doctor, as I really only noticed it within the past day or so. I had that EEG so I was mainly focused on that. I will be calling him today to let him know.

Thanks for the answers, guys!

I recommend using aluminum foil. I know this is a strange note and not really related to seizure meds but there is a lot of info on this topic and some say i am crazy but it is also so much fun to watch the reaction of the public on you when you walk around like this and explain the dangers of free radio waves, to say nothing of chem trails, i recommend foil hats made with the shiny side out to reflect the exterior interference with the brain. I also call it a public performance art piece. The rush of the fun of it sharpens up the memory and you will remember everything that happens.

I recommend using aluminum foil.

:roflmao: oh janus, you're never a bore.
i haven't been on for a few weeks but something told me to today to connect and see what y'all were up to. needed a good laugh so thank you.
:ponder: maybe i should just give it a try...

I heard back from the doctor's nurse today, and the response I got was... Interesting.

"No medicines that you're on have memory loss as a side effect, and we're still looking at your EEG. Anything else I could help with?"

"No medicines that you're on have memory loss as a side effect, and we're still looking at your EEG. Anything else I could help with?"

Sorry, but my response would be, "Yea, why don't you talk to the *#$&ing doctor and get back to me asap!"

I hear back and get direction within a few hours. I don't get what is up with some of these offices.

Sorry, but my response would be, "Yea, why don't you talk to the *#$&ing doctor and get back to me asap!"

I hear back and get direction within a few hours. I don't get what is up with some of these offices.

Yeah, I agree, that is not a good answer from your doc at all. But if this is new for you you deserve to have your doc be more attentive. I hope and it could just be a passing thing, but nothing wrong with getting insight from a neuro. Best of luck.

I know that doctors are busy, but it really bugs me that they use messengers. *rant over*

My doc really hasn't 'been there for me' but his office is the only one in the town that I live in. The only other option I would have is to go to the hospital, which I may think about doing, as he keeps dropping the ball on everything.

I would suggest it man, especially if this is still lingering. And if he keeps pushing things off, that doesn't inspire confidence in any patient. So don't feel bad about being irritated or ranting. They work for you, not the other way around.

I would suggest if at all possible get yourself to a bigger community, at the very least for a consult. And ask to see an epileptologist (sorry if you've already gone this route and I missed the thread where you mentioned it).
I was in a similar position, where I was seeing a neurologist in my local small city who would take forever to get back to me. Finally via another doctor (ophthamologist, believe it or not, lol) I got referred to an epileptologist in a nearby much bigger city with an epilepsy center. Has made all the difference in the world!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! The crazy thing is that the neurology office I go to is a Level 4 (only three in the state of VA) and my neurologist is the lead epileptologist. However, it is time to move onto greener pastures I believe.

We only have one 'local' neurologist but the one that I go to is about an hour away in the city. I've never even gone to the local one but my grandma did because they thought she may have been having seizures. He really didn't seem to be too much help for her.

I have horrible short term and long term memory problems. I know it's because of having seizures. When I first started having them I could loose hours to days of memory that happened before the seizure. It's like that now too a little bit but not nearly as bad. It's my long term memory that's horrible now, after about 5 months things start to fade away.

I loathe traveling hours to see a doctor, but I think I have to for this one. I have found two epileptologists. One is in DC and the other is in Pittsburgh. I'll be doing research on them, and hopefully I can finally hit a home run with a doctor!

As for the memory, it has gotten to the point where I don't even remember driving to and from work. Almost a "How in the heck did I just get here?"

I have severe memory loss post seizure and can have very slow reflexes as though I'm 30 seconds slower than everything around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for the memory, it has gotten to the point where I don't even remember driving to and from work. Almost a "How in the heck did I just get here?"

That must be frightening, at least it would be for me. Gotta wonder if you're actually having seizures when driving. Don't know if that's possible or not.

Seizures have definitely made my memory worse, which was never great to begin with. It does seem to improve the longer I go without a seizure, 5mts now, the longest in years, still hard for me to tell if there was permanent damage to memory, cuz like I said it was never great to begin with. I tend to think there was, cuz I do have a hard time remembering words and common names of tools etc. I used to use all the time.

My gf and her daughter, joke that living with me is like Groundhog Day. lol

I would suggest talking to/getting an appt with someone as quickly as possible. Many hospitals in bigger cities that have neurological departments also usually have a nurse that specializes in this stuff, perhaps you could find one to explain your experiences and what's going on with you, they might be able to get you in quicker, or offer some advice.

Back
Top Bottom