memory loss and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been having seizures for nearly 2 years now, and i am still not diagnosed, when i have spoken to my dr he asked me questions one of them being what is my memory like.
I said i think my memory is ok, but now im not so sure.
My family have commented on my forgetfulness, although i wouldnt say it is really bad, the only thing that is bothering me is the fact that i forget what i am saying mid sentence sometimes, is this just normal or is it related to me having seizures??

Hi there,
This was very much my case as well, prior to diagnosis. I would stop mid sentence and forget simple things. Actually, I still do.The Diagnosis for me took yrs. also..unfortunately. There seems to be alot of memory posts on here..which may be helpful to read. Also, some meds for seizures may cause some..or more fogginess from what I understand. Welcome to the site if you are new. it is great!!!

Michelle

years!!! i hope it dusnt take much longer for me dnt really no how much longer i can cope i have had to put mylife on hold because of this. I am not yet taking any medication so its not that. thanks for ur reply x

I am not the one having seizures, but it seems that putting your life on hold isn't going to help the situation much. It appears from what people are saying, that thoughts can trigger seizures. So if you go about life expecting seizures to happen then .... perhaps they will.

For me.. I would approach this from a nutritional stand point at first, then after observations of my habits, thoughts, stress, feelings, I would work very hard to change that which is most likely triggering the seizures.

I think for some this is a warning sign that the direction their life was headed was not a healthy one (habits, stress, diet, thoughts, feelings). This certainly was the case in my daughters life, and has made a huge difference in her health.

i am not putin my life on hold by choice!! the dr's are telling me what to do and what no to do, for example cant work and cant drive, both these play a major part in my life, whithout driving i have lost alot of independance and without work alot of structure. I am trying to life as normal life as possible and trying not to let seizures ruin everything but its hard when you have so many limitations.

Why do they tell you that you can't work? They never told my daughter that she couldn't go to school. Seems that getting on with life would be a good prescription, unless what you have is life threatening.

I know it must be really frustrating. Some doctors use to make a patient rest in the hospital bed following surgery. Now they believe that it is important for recovery to be up and moving around as soon as possible. So there are different beliefs within the one profession.

Is there not a job that you can take that would have no stress, and yet would give your life some meaning? Or perhaps a volunteer position?

i am just goin to tell my dr that i am goin bk to work reguardless when i see them next, and hopefully they will agree with it, i think their issue with me workin is the fact that my seizures are uncontrolled because i dnt have a diagnosis.

Some have a diagnosis, have uncontrolled seizures, and still hold jobs. Can't say that it would be easy, but the quality of your life is what counts here, and your doctors don't have to live inside of your skin.

Do you think that perhaps they asked you not to work for a while because they thought it was too much stress for you?

yeah maybe, i work with children with challenging behaviours so i think that is why the said not too work .

For me it would truly do me in if I were to think that I had nothing to offer due to having a disorder like E. There is enough self talk around this, that when others tell you not to be useful (perhaps they don't see a job like that) then it would be like a huge black cloud over my head.

I hope you make the choices necessary to not feel like your life is on hold. It goes fast enough as it is.

The main part of my memory loss is because of my seizures.
When I have lately with the CP and SP I'm having auras .
:bigsmile: :banana::clap:
Belinda

memory loss is a bummer !!! I saw a psychologist and she said that my loss of memory could be do to the drugs and the portion of my brain that is affected. I can go to a movie one day, and the next week I could see it again because I dont remember any of it. Reading is the same. I can read an article in the paper and not remember what I read that night. It is very hard. People say write things down, but how many posted notes can a person carry around with them.
patience and talking with others that understand is what helps me. and a good doctor....
good luck....

Back
Top Bottom