Memory problems!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elaine
I am so sorry to hear about your burn! Is it getting better still? That's fairly horrible if you have to have it dressed at the hospital. I know what you mean about hurting yourself and not realizing. I yet haven't had anything as horrible as unconsciously grabbing the hot end of a hair dryer... btw... your hair looks great... ;) The other day I ws lifting the plastic top of a rubbermaid box, which had several boxes on top of it and it snapped broken and i was like "crap" and went onto solve the problem a different way when something shiny caught a glimpse of my eye. It was blood oozing off my hand. It had peeled back a layer of my skin. lol. Oh well.

Elaine- what measures can you take to ensure this doesn't happen again? I don't want you to get hurt again.

I was re-reading what I wrote. I think mcGill that I like to make informed decisions becasue, like Mike, I have been screwed over by the medical community s many times and do not trust them at all. Luckily my antidepressants prevents me from showing my angst. lol. However, seriously, doctors don't know about this... I like talking to Everyone here so I can learn from their experiences in a Realistic point of view. You know?

You'll find this posted in the jokes too but its so true its funny
I have C.R.A.F.T
"Can't Remember A F@%king Thing"

that's funny!! A cousin of C.R.S. -
Can't remember s#*t!!:bigmouth:

Maybe it time to make better memories or try to remember only the good things. We all have so many blessings if we use them to help others who are less fournate then they multiply so much that its hard to believe. Im sorry your hightmares cant be happy dreams.

My memory sucks. Fortunately for me my husband remembers places we've been or people we've met. I used to think it was just getting older, but it's worse since my meds have been increased!

I've gotten used to having a bad memory after a seizure. What I find frustrating is when I have a seizure early in the morning then discuss something at around 4 hours later & feel that my memory is good but forget what was said by the time evening comes around.

(Just happened recently)

I know what you mean about hurting yourself and not realizing. I yet haven't had anything as horrible as unconsciously grabbing the hot end of a hair dryer... btw... your hair looks great... ;)

Not sure if this counts in the area of memory issues and getting hurt but mine is with ceiling fans. We have lived where we currently live going on two years now and to this day I STILL forget we have ceiling fans and when I stand up and stretch I stick my hand/fingers right into that darn thing each time I stretch around one of em. EVERY time! :D *LMAO* I just forget they are there. So far no broken bloody stumps :)

Hi Mike Ed here
I'm having some difficulty navigating around this site computers have never been my strong point can't blame it on E. I think your the person that sent a message to me so thanks i'll look into it.
Ed

Please give me your experiences of your memory troubles? I would appreciate it if you would tell me if friends, family, and society in general understands? I mean, truly understands. Please be brutally honest, no one but us guys is going to read this, and for all of us that have short term memory troubles, hopefully we can help and reassure each other? Hope so!
My sister had lots of experience with this, especially towards the end. She would often forget having seen movies, or meeting a particular person. She would try and guess sometimes I think.

She also had problems remembering how to do stuff at work after moderate seizures. That is in part why she wrote down complete lists of how to do particular tasks. In the end, she became more efficient than the average worker by doing so.

I note that during her last year, I gave her a couple of books to read to get good at a particular thing, and she got frustrated as she had forgotten them completely when I asked her about it again.

There was one time when she had an exceptionally bad seizure and forgot a whole semester worth of courses, which she had to relearn over summer (I assume). I don't know how she did it, but I take my hat off to her. She was an amazing person.

I think in a lot of ways the E-related memory loss must be similar to dementia, but with the ability to form new memories and hence, analyze new situations effectively - so it is less disabling but still must be extremely difficult to cope with.

My suspicion is that each seizure as a brain damage event, and over time there is cumulative damage in the same way that boxing will bring on cumulative brain damage, which shows up (years later especially) as dementia pugilista. Another way it reminds me of boxing - early in a fighter's career, they may be known for having a strong chin. They can take a lot of blows without being knocked out. However, the more blows they take the easier they get knocked out in future. I saw this with my sister - she did not appear to have nearly as much trouble when she was younger, in fact she would regularly go out drinking every weekend. I'm not sure whether this would bring on a seizure back then, but she certainly could not do this later in life, her seizure threshold was much lower. There was also the fact that she was in a stressful job that caused a lot of seizures. For her health, she should have seen the situation for what it was earlier and quit - though she was not the quitting type.

So seizure minimization is not just a good idea in terms of day to day life, it may mean the difference between long term quality of life (memory, reduced seizure threshold) and longevity. I guess if any parents are reading this, it's worth drilling into your kids that just because they can recover from a seizure now and seem to be ok, there will probably be long-term consequences to taking that sort of risk, and they won't be good.

Last edited:
Ive had thousands of grandmall seizures over 30 years.Coping with the after effects was the hardest part. After about one week I would start to feel like me again.Since 1998 Ive been keeping a journal about all of it. I started nerofeedback in 1999.Memory is not an issue in fact my memory is better than ever before. when I think of someones phone nuber I can see the numbers with my minds eye.

reply to mike from N/Y?

Hi Mike i'm still having difficulty navigating this site. I believe it's you sending me info? Anyways it's well appreciated and i will eventualy figure the site out.
thanks Ed

I would be happy to tell all I know about epilepsy and 30 years experince of it.

Education

Thanks Mike
On my way back to the City now but will be in touch soon
Once again thanks.
Ed.

Back
Top Bottom