"Micro Blackouts" (short-circuiting)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MrE

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay this topic might have come up a million times in a million different formats but here is mine lol

So...micro blackouts...what are they? The brain "short-circuiting" perhaps?

Well I don't have the answers here...but I do have the ideas...

* Flashing images (who keeps turning the lights on/off???)
* Subliminal messages (get out of my head Charles! Magneto can I borrow your helmet please!)
* Loss of consciousness for a split second (where'd everybody go???)

Whatever the case may be the human mind is constantly storing data away like a recorder on an infinite loop...except the data isn't simply cycling through...it's cyclically morphing and evolving into something "new"...whatever information we are consciously aware of is what I like to call "superficial data"...meaning that it is serving a basic purpose for a basic function...nothing more...nothing less...however that basic purpose is a component to a more "intricate" function...think of it like a clock...you have the hands and/or numbers that tell time as we deceptively perceive it...except below the surface you have the gears/wires that making the clock tick...such as your mind...tick tock...is your brain making your mind work or is your mind making your brain work...whichever way you decide to look at it...you are still looking at it...but anyway...

I experience these things and for some reason I am able to remember them...it's like I am aware on an alternate level...like I'm experiencing myself...but from a different "angle"...I'm not complaining here so I'm not looking for some "solution to a problem"...I am simply discussing the complex nature of the minds "self-aware" mechanism...indeed it is fascinating...

but that's all it will ever be...the more we think we know...the less...it's like taking stabs in the dark with an imaginary knife...

speaking of imagination...I'd like to conclude my "Captains Log:" with a quote from Mr. Einstein...

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

The brain/mind is indeed amazing. I love to read about that sort of stuff. I think that perhaps those of us with epilepsy might be especially interested in that because of our near-constant reminders of the mysterious activities of our brain, and the awareness of how little anyone understands about it. A book you might want to read is "Brain Bugs". I don't remember the author now, but it's an Italian sounding name. What you wrote reminds me of something I read somewhere, which says "If our brains were simple enough for us to understand them, we wouldn't be smart enough to understand them." That's kind of a koan, isn't it? In any case, I think it's true.
Carry on!

h15161CEE

Thanks for that picture, MrE. (NOT!) What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Absolutely! I have found that i have them out of the blue and do not remember them. So I am told... I am always saying "I don't remember any blanking out. I just ended up in this little car crash where i hit a tree."

Absolutely! I have found that i have them out of the blue and do not remember them. So I am told... I am always saying "I don't remember any blanking out. I just ended up in this little car crash where i hit a tree."

Before my seizures were generally "controlled" (when I was a teen) I always use to ending feeding my clothes and the floor with cereal in the morning...total blackout...

I was like "why is there cereal all over my clothes and floor"... (this was before I knew I had epilepsy)

Here you go:
Brain Bugs by Dean Buomonomano
http://www.neurosciencemarketing.com/blog/articles/brain-bugs.htm

Looks interesting. I'll be looking for it.

I also do weird things with my stuff during blackouts. I will come to and have found I've thrown/put my lighter in the middle of the floor, or thrown my meds in the bin, or put the laundry detergent in the fridge, or typed a bunch of gibberish for a client. If I'm with one person, I always know when I've a reset because I'll have a sense I was talking but have no idea what I was saying. I say "Um, what was I saying?" They say, "You were talking about your parrot." "Oh yes! I was saying...No. It's gone." I liken it to shutting down a PC with all your software running and then turning it on and expecting all the software to still be open. I wanted to see what these resets actually looked like this morning. The adult ones looked like really bad acting so I found this one with a child, whose parents found a pretty smart way of demonstrating absence seizures: (it's not scary to watch, I don't think.)

Somehow I am aware of what's happening at all times...even when I am not aware...

not going to watch that video though...there's really no point...I've experienced enough nightmares...

and now I enter "sleep mode" :eek:

Back
Top Bottom